Good riddance

NWebster

Good riddance

Post by NWebster »

True story I actually had a bird sh1t on me today walking outside. Good bye and good riddance to 2020.

From a FOOTBALL perspective, what is the worst year ever? I'm tempted to say 87 but for the phenomenonal performances of Reggie White and Jerry Rice. 82 seems obvious as well. This year? Others?
RichardBak

Re: Good riddance

Post by RichardBak »

I don't think any year in all of our lifetimes (I'll be 67 in April) can ever compare to 2020, in football in particular or life in general. I have high hopes things will be at 90% of normal by next fall.

But if we're simply talking about football, I think the strike seasons sucked worse than this season. Look at how chopped up and jacked up the baseball season was, and then compare it to the NFL. I thought there was no way all 32 teams would complete a full sked, but here we are.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

RichardBak wrote:I don't think any year in all of our lifetimes (I'll be 67 in April) can ever compare to 2020, in football in particular or life in general. I have high hopes things will be at 90% of normal by next fall.

But if we're simply talking about football, I think the strike seasons sucked worse than this season. Look at how chopped up and jacked up the baseball season was, and then compare it to the NFL. I thought there was no way all 32 teams would complete a full sked, but here we are.
I actually think 82 was better than 97 despite fewer yes at least they were all with pros
Oszuscik

Post by Oszuscik »

If we’re thinking outside the strike years, I’d toss 2008 into the mix. Tom Brady missed basically the entire season with an injury, Brett Favre’s retirement drama hit a fever pitch with his divorce from Green Bay, the Lions became the first team to go 0-16, Mike Holmgren’s farewell season turned into a 4-12 mess, the wildcat became a thing... I just remember the 2008 season feeling underwhelming and me being fine when it was over. Hell of a Super Bowl though.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Ouch. I'd forgotten about 2008 and those 0-16 Lions. Then again, collective amnesia is a characteristic of us Detroit fans. One day it will be safe to take those paper bags off our heads.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Certainly not the worst year from a Bills fan's perspective! Besides, here in WNY, we measure such things in decades ...
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

1989 was a pretty lousy year, mostly due to the complete dominance of the 49ers and their most one-sided win ever in Super Bowl history. But also due to the pathetic state of affairs in the AFC. Ten of the fourteen teams finished at or within one game of .500, and both wild card qualifiers had a combined point differential of -108. About the season's biggest bright spot was a pretty good divisional round weekend.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Hopefully the playoffs will get back to intense, fundamental football, without the crazy basketball finishes.
I know the networks want "entertainment" but seeing defenses actually doing their job and officials calling holding and obvious receiver push-offs, will help tremendously because we all know that defensive pass interference calls will decide some games.
Crazy Packers Fan

Post by Crazy Packers Fan »

1991 would get my vote. Aside from a pair of exciting playoff games involving the Broncos, this was a dull playoffs where the Super Bowl champion was a foregone conclusion. Yes, the Falcons story was nice, but they never had a realistic chance at going all the way. The '91 Redskins were one of the most dominant teams in league history and there was never a moment that they were in any danger. Plus, there was the Mike Utley injury. Just not a memorable year at all.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I see what youre saying about 1991, though Buffalo and Denver played an excellent, defensive, AFC Championship game. Too bad the Lions couldnt step it up against the Redskins. After watching the Lions whip the Cowboys, a team that matched the Redskins very well -- I am sure the Redskin players couldnt wait to return to the practice field.