Roethlisberger for the HOF?

rhickok1109

Roethlisberger for the HOF?

Post by rhickok1109 »

I keep seeing Ben Roethlisberger referred to as a future Hall-of-Famer.

Does everybody here agree with that do you some of you the same doubts I do?

He's never been a first team All-Pro and I've never considered him a top five quarterback.
ChrisBabcock

Re: Roethlisberger for the HOF?

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Longetivity and 3 SB appearances with 2 victories should get him in. Deservedly in my opinion. But he certainly wouldn't be an "inner circle" hall of famer.
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

rhickok1109 wrote:I keep seeing Ben Roethlisberger referred to as a future Hall-of-Famer.

Does everybody here agree with that do you some of you the same doubts I do?

He's never been a first team All-Pro and I've never considered him a top five quarterback.

I believe he is and I am an Eagles' fan with no attachment for the Steelers. Moon, Aikman and probably others who I cannot think of were never All-Pros and Russell Wilson who many consider a future HOFer has yet to achieve All-Pro. Roethlisberger will retire top 10 in passing yards and touchdowns and those ahead of him are either in the Hall or are locks. Eli Manning is behind him and there is a decent case for him to get in. I would consider him in the top five when the Steelers were winning their titles with him. Brady, P. Manning, Brees, Rodgers and who else? Winning 2 SBs certainly helps.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Back to the original post.... Probably the same doubts you have about Ben, I have with the QB he's facing today, Philip Rivers. Often referred to as a future hall of famer. That's a head scratcher.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

ChrisBabcock wrote:Back to the original post.... Probably the same doubts you have about Ben, I have with the QB he's facing today, Philip Rivers. Often referred to as a future hall of famer. That's a head scratcher.

During NFL TV broadcast in the 70's, announcers would call a player "a future hall of famer," and the player mentioned would never come close.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Hall-of-Famer? Yes
First ballot? Maybe not.
One of the Top 10 QBs this century? Yes.

Is Ben in the same league as Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers? No.
Is he in spots six thru ten? Yes, arguably.

Six Pro Bowls, three Super Bowl appearance, all the Steelers' franchise passing records, 2x NFL leading passer, 60000+ career passing yards, likely over 400 career passing TDs (if he returns for 2021), 156 career wins as a starter, top five in both 4th quarter comebacks/game-winning drives... and I think yes he will be inducted into Canton.

Numbers wise, he is ahead of Eli Manning, but behind Rivers, because Ben has played in less games due to injury and off-the-field antics... believe it or not, Ben only averages 4 passing yards less per game than Brady..
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

I say yes. A pair of SB rings and 60K yds passing, plus longevity, does it for me. There have been--and will continue to be--worse picks for the Hall.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

I'm not a big fan, but he's still a lock, though it might take a vote or two to elect him.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

I honestly don't even really pay attention to the Hall of Fame any longer as it has just gotten too watered down.

I think they need to make a new Hall as the rules are set up to where every game that is played is virtually the '81 San Diego vs Miami playoff game. They said in the Dallas and Philadelphia game today that it was the most yards gained in the history of the Dallas vs Philadelphia rivalry. Let that seek in. Two teams with losing records (who both had their back up qb's in) gained more yards than some of those teams full of legit Hall of Famers who either made it all the way to the Super Bowl or went deep into the playoffs.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

lastcat3 wrote:I honestly don't even really pay attention to the Hall of Fame any longer as it has just gotten too watered down.

I think they need to make a new Hall as the rules are set up to where every game that is played is virtually the '81 San Diego vs Miami playoff game. They said in the Dallas and Philadelphia game today that it was the most yards gained in the history of the Dallas vs Philadelphia rivalry. Let that seek in. Two teams with losing records (who both had their back up qb's in) gained more yards than some of those teams full of legit Hall of Famers who either made it all the way to the Super Bowl or went deep into the playoffs.
I agree. The numbers are all jacked out of proportion, to the point where it's more difficult than ever to compare eras. Same with baseball. Both HOFs should have a Watered Down Wing attached to the main building.