The other AFLs

Bob Gill

Re: The other AFLs

Post by Bob Gill »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Have you seen Bob and Tod's book? I just stumbled on it: https://www.amazon.com/Outsiders-League ... 187828245X

I would guess the Tanks might be in the Ohio Valley section, maybe Bob will confirm. Not sure what you are working on, but thought it may be helpful.
Yeah, the Tanks were part of the unofficial Ohio Valley league, along with the Portsmouth Spartans, the Ashland Armcos and the Cincinnati National Guards, among others. I may have written something about those teams in the Coffin Corner in the 1990s, but I can't recall off the top of my head. Oh, and there was a PFRA book about them called Down in the Valley. I guess there probably aren't any copies of that one left by now, but you never know.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Thanks Bob - I've kept an eye out for Down in the Valley for years, but no luck so far. Home and Away has been my go to. I've had some luck on AbeBooks for other PFRA publications, so maybe someday.
Wendell02

Post by Wendell02 »

Does anyone know why the Rock Island Independents jumped to the AFL in 1926? They weren't a powerhouse, but had a respectable 24-14-11 record in their six NFL seasons, with only one losing season (1923). Are they the only team to leave the NFL for another league? I can't think of another one.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

The Brooklyn Dodgers/Tigers jumped from the NFL to the AAFC in 1946 and became the New York Yankees. The change of name blurs the connection, along with the fact that in 1945 the Brooklyn team was idle, or technically merged with the Boston Yanks. But the 1946 Yankees had most of the former Brooklyn team's major players, like Ace Parker, Bruiser Kinard, Pug Manders and so on.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Thanks Bob - I've kept an eye out for Down in the Valley for years, but no luck so far. Home and Away has been my go to. I've had some luck on AbeBooks for other PFRA publications, so maybe someday.
Home and Away is good. I'd certainly recommend it.
TanksAndSpartans

rhickok1109 wrote:I agree that that the typical narrative is superficial. Daly and O"Donnell, in their Pro Football Chronicle, did a pretty good job of debunking it.
Thanks Ralph - I just pulled it off my shelf - good read. I think the "Grange effect" is probably in between those who think it was "negative/meaningless" and "positive/saved the NFL". It feels like anytime the topic comes up though, most people are on the positive side especially on another board I go to where folks collect cards/memorabilia, etc. Often makes me want to roll my eyes at the exaggerations.

Back to 1926, I think Pottsville would have jumped, but the AFL gave them some leverage. If they had used the leverage to at least get themselves a share of the '25 title, things would have been different.
Last edited by TanksAndSpartans on Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Have you seen Bob and Tod's book? I just stumbled on it: https://www.amazon.com/Outsiders-League ... 187828245X
Thank you! This is perfect. And it covers the exact period I'm interested in.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
TanksAndSpartans

RyanChristiansen wrote:
Thank you! This is perfect. And it covers the exact period I'm interested in.
Glad I could help. I added it to my queue too.