Barry Switzer

74_75_78_79_

Re: Barry Switzer

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Not just anyone can take over a team no matter how much talent they have, and no matter how capable both coordinators and all assistants are as well as upper management, and just automatically win a Super Bowl with that very team! Got to give Barry credit for '95 - not just GB for knocking off SF or Neil O himself, etc. Without going through each and every HC of every '95 NFL team, I'd like to think that most of them would not have been able to hoist a Lombardi if immediately placed in Barry's position starting the year prior! And that also goes for some of the HCs that led their teams to playoff berths that very year! Not just anyone can do it! Hell, remember Karl Malone and Gary Payton being added to Shaq & Kobe's Lakers yet they still didn't win-it-all...and with Phil Jackson still as their HC, mind you???? Yes, it ain't automatic no matter what!

That said, it looks pretty much like Barry's still going to be considered near if not at the 'bottom' of all-time SB-winning HCs. We'll simply never know how he would have done if he simply took over a bad NFL team and started them from scratch. In my opinion, had Jimmy Johnson stuck around Big D another three years, he likely at least wins two more in both '95 (as Barry himself did) and also in '96 (with all due serious respect to that Green Bay team); and maybe even gets it done in '94 to make it FIVE-STRAIGHT altogether! But who knows? Maybe (although I personally doubt it), his 'message' would have suddenly gotten old and, perhaps, a more laid-back Barry would have been the perfect shift-in-gears to keep the Dynasty going some more (sort-of like, say, Bob Lemon taking over for Billy Martin halfway into '78).
JKelly

Re: Barry Switzer

Post by JKelly »

Here is the deal Barry Switzer was not the fool he is made out to be. Was he a great NFL coach? - No, Should he be considered a bad NFL coach? - Far from it. See Bill Peterson, Rich Kotite and Adam Gase for that.

Switzer was given a chance to coach an already great team, earn some serious money, make the owner look good ( oops, that didn't happen) and maybe rebuild his reputation. Can't fault him for that. I feel he would have been more successful with a real GM player personnel guy and if the NFL didn't go to full blown free agency. Just because Aikman didn't like him doesn't mean he wasn't trying to coach to the best of his ability or that he was a bad coach. He did hurt himself to the national media with some of his silly antics but he certainly has a lot of company with other coaches some way more successful than him doing or saying stupid things at a press conference.

I have no doubt had free agency not happen Switzer and the Cowboys would have 3peated. Considering that their main rival the 49ers thru free agency bought a defense for the 1994 season. The brought in Ken Norton, Tim McDonald, Rickey Jackson, Deion Sanders, Gary Plummer, Toi Cook, Charles Mann, Richard Dent & Tim Harris and drafted Bryant Young. By me saying that I don't mean to infer they did something wrong I'm just pointing out that is what they had to do to catch up to Dallas in 94.