Most TDs on returns/recoveries in a season

Wendell02

Most TDs on returns/recoveries in a season

Post by Wendell02 »

I'm sure others have looked at this, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Here are the ones with at least 11:
13-1998 Seahawks: punt (2), kickoff, fumble (2), interception (8)
12-2010 Cardinals: kickoff (2), fumble (7), interception (3)
11-1961 Chargers: punt, interception (9), blocked punt
11-1992 Chiefs: punt (2), fumble (2), interception (6), blocked punt
11-1999 Rams: punt, kickoff (2), fumble, interception (7)
11-1999 Chiefs: punt (2), fumble (4), interception (5)
11-2013 Chiefs: punt (2), kickoff (2), fumble (2), interception (5)
11-2014 Eagles: punt (2), kickoff (2), fumble (2), interception (2), blocked punt (3)
RichardBak

Re: Most TDs on returns/recoveries in a season

Post by RichardBak »

Those 3 TDs on blocked punts in one season by the 2014 Eagles are kind of startling. Is that the record?

Takes me back...the only TDs I ever scored in grade school and HS each came on a blocked punt return, so I guess that explains my fascination. Oh well, just an old-timer on Throwback Tuesday....
Wendell02

Post by Wendell02 »

RichardBak wrote:Those 3 TDs on blocked punts in one season by the 2014 Eagles are kind of startling. Is that the record?

Takes me back...the only TDs I ever scored in grade school and HS each came on a blocked punt return, so I guess that explains my fascination. Oh well, just an old-timer on Throwback Tuesday....
The 1943 Giants had 4. The 1987 Rams also had 3.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

One thing that's never been clear to me. Does a blocked punt count as a punt attempt against the punter? In other words, if he successfully gets off 5 punts but the 6th is blocked, does he officially have 5 or 6 punts? I would assume for sake of yardage, the blocked kick would be 0 yards.
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

RichardBak wrote:One thing that's never been clear to me. Does a blocked punt count as a punt attempt against the punter? In other words, if he successfully gets off 5 punts but the 6th is blocked, does he officially have 5 or 6 punts? I would assume for sake of yardage, the blocked kick would be 0 yards.
Since 1976 they don't count against the individual punter (but they do count when it comes to the net average). So all those pre-1976 punters are getting screwed when it comes to their career averages.

It's a stupid statistical rule - I mean they still count blocked field goals and extra points as individual attempts.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Thanks for clearing that up. But here's another...in terms of a player returning a blocked punt for a TD. Was there ever a time when the return of the blocked kick was treated as a punt return? Just flipping through the football encyclopedias, I've seen some weird looking punt return stats: e.g., Ed Cooke, a LB on the '62 NY Titans, credited with an 11-yd TD on a punt return. PFR credits Cooke with a fumble return TD. Maybe this was strictly an AFL scorekeeping quirk, treating blocked punts as returns?