Drew Pearson and Tom Flores--still waiting on contributor

sluggermatt15

Re: Drew Pearson and Tom Flores--still waiting on cotributor

Post by sluggermatt15 »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:
Bryan wrote:Do they really need to put forth a "senior" coach every year?
+1

I don't get the logic. Even if you go back to the 20s, the ratio of players to coaches is at least 16:1. Yet we have one of each annually?
Well, maybe Don Coryell will get in one of these years. :)
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Andy Piascik wrote:
TanksAndSpartans wrote:I got this list of finalists from another board, but Andy mentioned he didn't think this information was released. What do you guys think? My own thought is with Howley about the oldest player, its probably right - seems pretty typical.

Ken Anderson
Cliff Branch
Roger Craig
Randy Gradishar
LC Greenwood
Chuck Howley
Joe Klecko
George Kunz
Stanley Morgan
Tommy Nobis
Drew Pearson
Ken Riley
John, this list is probably right. Whatever the rules about not disclosing the names of the finalists, selectors have been known to release the information off the record.

If this list is accurate, it sure seems like they're closing the door on the Super Seniors.
Andy, does that mean guys like Lavvie Dilweg, Ox Emerson, Spec Sanders, etc.?
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

Teo wrote:Aside from Pearson and Flores being nominated, I like to point out again that I don't like the prominence that David Baker has calling them (or eventually knocking in their hotel door). It appears (to the casual fan) that he is the one making the final decision for which one is in or out, and I bet that in not so distant future Baker will be inducted as a "contributor".
I suspect that if you checked his closet, there is already a fitted gold jacket in there.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Andy Piascik

Post by Andy Piascik »

sluggermatt15 wrote:
Andy Piascik wrote:
TanksAndSpartans wrote:I got this list of finalists from another board, but Andy mentioned he didn't think this information was released. What do you guys think? My own thought is with Howley about the oldest player, its probably right - seems pretty typical.

Ken Anderson
Cliff Branch
Roger Craig
Randy Gradishar
LC Greenwood
Chuck Howley
Joe Klecko
George Kunz
Stanley Morgan
Tommy Nobis
Drew Pearson
Ken Riley
John, this list is probably right. Whatever the rules about not disclosing the names of the finalists, selectors have been known to release the information off the record.

If this list is accurate, it sure seems like they're closing the door on the Super Seniors.
Andy, does that mean guys like Lavvie Dilweg, Ox Emerson, Spec Sanders, etc.?
Yes, pretty much anybody who played their whole career before 1955, say. I sure hope I'm wrong. This year's list of finalists seems to indicate that they feel the Super Seniors had their last chance with the special Centennial class and that they're moving on. All the more reason to rue Covert, Carmichael, et al, getting in over Wistert, Dilweg and Emerson, not to mention others who didn't even make it to the final 20 like Barwegan.
sluggermatt15

Re: Drew Pearson and Tom Flores--still waiting on contributo

Post by sluggermatt15 »

We can do our part in electing the "Super Senior" players to the HOVG. I guess the rest is out of our control.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Two very questionable candidates, IMHO.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Teo wrote:Aside from Pearson and Flores being nominated, I like to point out again that I don't like the prominence that David Baker has calling them (or eventually knocking in their hotel door). It appears (to the casual fan) that he is the one making the final decision for which one is in or out, and I bet that in not so distant future Baker will be inducted as a "contributor".
Blatant self promotion.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

rhickok1109 wrote:Two very questionable candidates, IMHO.
+1
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

rhickok1109 wrote:Two very questionable candidates, IMHO.
And why is that
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

As far as I'm concerned, two more terrible awful no-good choices.