Who's the best 9-7 team that DIDN'T make the playoffs?

Re: Who's the best 9-7 team that DIDN'T make the playoffs?

Postby Crazy Packers Fan » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:08 am

Maybe they weren’t great teams statistically, but the 2000 Steelers and Packers both finished their seasons on fire, Pittsburgh winning 4 of 5 and Green Bay winning 4 straight. Both teams needed help to get in, and neither got enough. I like to think that the Packers wouldn’t have muffed a punt at the worst time like the #6-seeded Rams did (in the wild card game).
Crazy Packers Fan
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:46 pm

Re: Who's the best 9-7 team that DIDN'T make the playoffs?

Postby Todd Pence » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:13 am

Another 9-7 trivia bit: The Seattle Seahawks have in their history won a record four divisional titles at 9-7. They also won a divisional title at 7-9, giving them five different divisional titles in seasons in which they failed to achieve ten wins.
User avatar
Todd Pence
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:07 am

Re: Who's the best 9-7 team that DIDN'T make the playoffs?

Postby lastcat3 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:59 am

Todd Pence wrote:Another 9-7 trivia bit: The Seattle Seahawks have in their history won a record four divisional titles at 9-7. They also won a divisional title at 7-9, giving them five different divisional titles in seasons in which they failed to achieve ten wins.


Teams from the West spend too much time at the beach.
lastcat3
 
Posts: 366
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:47 pm

Re: Who's the best 9-7 team that DIDN'T make the playoffs?

Postby BD Sullivan » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:26 pm

The Sam Rutigliano teams of the Browns (with the obvious exception of 1980) never seemed to win the big games when it counted or ended up blowing winnable games that ended up costing them:

*In 1979, living up to their Kardiac Kids reputation, they lost to the Skins in the final minute and had leads of 10-0, 20-6 and 30-20 over the Steelers at Three Rivers--the last with 10 minutes left--before losing in OT, 33-30. Despite having a small chance to make the playoffs in the final game, they ended up losing to the 3-12 Bengals, 16-12.

*In 1983, after starting out 3-1, they came out flat against the Seahawks at home and lost 24-9. Three weeks later, they gave up two fourth-quarter scores--the last being a Ken Riley pick-six--the 1-6 Bengals and lost, 28-21. There was also the aforementioned Week 15 loss to the 1-13 Oilers, inexcusable considering that they entered the game only a game behind the Steelers and were in a three-way tie for the WC. Their last-week win over the Steelers was aided by Pittsburgh mailing it in.
BD Sullivan
 
Posts: 2241
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:30 pm

Re: Who's the best 9-7 team that DIDN'T make the playoffs?

Postby 7DnBrnc53 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:56 pm

1995 Bears: Their offense scored 392 points. Erik Kramer had a great year with 3,838 yards, 29 TD's, and 10 INT's. Jeff Graham and Curtis Conway had 82 and 62 catches, respectively. Rookie Rashaan Salaam ran for over 1,000 yards. They lost six games by seven points or less, and missed the playoffs after the 49ers blew a lead against the Falcons in Week 17.
7DnBrnc53
 
Posts: 861
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:57 pm

Re: Who's the best 9-7 team that DIDN'T make the playoffs?

Postby 74_75_78_79_ » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:12 pm

7DnBrnc53 wrote:1995 Bears: Their offense scored 392 points. Erik Kramer had a great year with 3,838 yards, 29 TD's, and 10 INT's. Jeff Graham and Curtis Conway had 82 and 62 catches, respectively. Rookie Rashaan Salaam ran for over 1,000 yards. They lost six games by seven points or less, and missed the playoffs after the 49ers blew a lead against the Falcons in Week 17.


They were better than their '94 installment that actually made the playoffs and doused Warren Moon/Terry Allen/Cris Carter/Jake Reed/Jack Del Rio/John Randle's division-winning Vikings at the Met in the 1st-Rd! When Neil O engineered that gigantic comeback win at Soldier in '95, I knew right then and there that their rally to the SB had begun!
User avatar
74_75_78_79_
 
Posts: 1773
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:25 pm

Re: Who's the best 9-7 team that DIDN'T make the playoffs?

Postby 7DnBrnc53 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:43 pm

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:1995 Bears: Their offense scored 392 points. Erik Kramer had a great year with 3,838 yards, 29 TD's, and 10 INT's. Jeff Graham and Curtis Conway had 82 and 62 catches, respectively. Rookie Rashaan Salaam ran for over 1,000 yards. They lost six games by seven points or less, and missed the playoffs after the 49ers blew a lead against the Falcons in Week 17.


They were better than their '94 installment that actually made the playoffs and doused Warren Moon/Terry Allen/Cris Carter/Jake Reed/Jack Del Rio/John Randle's division-winning Vikings at the Met in the 1st-Rd! When Neil O engineered that gigantic comeback win at Soldier in '95, I knew right then and there that their rally to the SB had begun!


Yeah, that win the Steelers had over the Bears was the catalyst for that team to get going. Before that, they had been struggling, with losses @Jacksonville and an embarrassing Thursday night loss in Week 8 to the Bengals.
7DnBrnc53
 
Posts: 861
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:57 pm

Previous

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JKelly and 33 guests