Books on teams that defined decades

Oszuscik

Books on teams that defined decades

Post by Oszuscik »

When you talk about the NFL in a given decade there are always teams you instantly remember that define those years. The 60's were the Packers, 70's the Dolphins, Raiders, and Steelers, 80's the 49ers, Redskins, and Bears, and so on. Does anybody have any favorite books that they consider to be the definitive account of any of these era-defining teams?

Recently I've read...
"Boys Will Be Boys" (90's Cowboys)
"Perfection" (70's Dolphins)
"Badasses" (70's Raiders)

I'm currently reading "Their Life's Work" (70's Steelers), and have "Monsters" (80's Bears) and "Hail to the Redskins" (80's Redskins) coming up.

For the books I've read so far I'd consider them all to be definitive accounts of those respective teams, I thought each one was great. It'd be nice to find something similar for Bill Walsh's 49ers and the early 90's Buffalo Bills (though the 30 For 30 was terrific).

What are some of your favorites?
ChrisBabcock

Re: Books on teams that defined decades

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Rockin' The Rockpile (1960s Bills)
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

"The Best Show in Football" by Andy Piascik. Not a specific decade, but 1946-1955 Browns.
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Bill Braucher wrote two books about the early-70's Dolphins...one is the history of the franchise up to 1971 with a focus on the 71 season called "Promises to Keep" which is really good. The other is called "The Perfect Season" IIRC that is a game by game account of the 72 season.

Steve Perkins wrote two books about the early-70's Cowboys that are both worthwhile...one is called Next Years Champions with a focus on the 70 Cowboys, and the other is called "Winning the Big One" focusing on the 71 Cowboys.