Five Hundred and Three MILLION Dollars

JuggernautJ

Five Hundred and Three MILLION Dollars

Post by JuggernautJ »

Patrick Mahomes' new contract extension with the Chiefs...
https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-patrick ... -extension

I'm sorry but, in light of the "Redskins" naming conversation we're having I can't help but feel our society could find a better use for half a billion dollars... but (at least around here) that's probably just me...

But on just football grounds, what do you think of this massive contract?
Is there no limit on how much a team will promise a player?
How much of this $500,000,000 do you think Mahomes will actually see?
($477,000,000 is under a "guarantee mechanism", whatever the heck that means.)

If there is no football this year what happens to all the "guaranteed" contracts out there?
Can NFL teams afford their payrolls if there is no revenue (from games: TV and tickets)?
lastcat3

Re: Five Hundred and Three MILLION Dollars

Post by lastcat3 »

Will be interesting to see how this affects KC's overall team. Mahomes has been great but probably a big reason the Chiefs have been as good as they have is because they got Mahomes talents on a rookie deal. Now that they have paid him the big bucks will they continue to be able to surround him with the amount of talent that they have been able to during his first few years?
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

I think from what the article says this is an extension to his rookie contract...
Therefore, for the next two years Mahomes will still be on some version of his first contract (+ signing bonus?) which should keep the Chiefs competitive during that time.

After that... I'm guessing they'll be in the kind of salary cap situation that makes getting the best players at other position problematic (unless they can draft them).
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

JuggernautJ wrote:Patrick Mahomes' new contract extension with the Chiefs...
https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-patrick ... -extension

How much of this $500,000,000 do you think Mahomes will actually see?
($477,000,000 is under a "guarantee mechanism", whatever the heck that means.)
There was a link from the phrase "guarantee mechanisms" that led to this explanation: "What’s the guarantee mechanism? Basically, the team guarantees Patrick Mahomes' salary a year out. And if they don’t pick up each guarantee, they have to cut him (to avoid picking up the future guarantee)."
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Thanks, Ralph.
I comprehended that on the second reading.

Another interesting point, in April 2026 a 49.9 million dollar (I can't believe I typed that) bonus goes into effect.
So, I reckon that'll be when Mahomes is either cut, paid big-time or has his contract re-negotiated.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

JuggernautJ wrote:Thanks, Ralph.
I comprehended that on the second reading.

Another interesting point, in April 2026 a 49.9 million dollar (I can't believe I typed that) bonus goes into effect.
So, I reckon that'll be when Mahomes is either cut, paid big-time or has his contract re-negotiated.
Aaron Rodgers got a monster one-time bonus ($57 million) as part of his contract in the last year or two, which was cause for some amusing alarm by some in the media since the Packers' PROFIT had dropped 97 percent. In other words, even with that momentary hit, they still made money. :lol:
Throwin_Samoan

Post by Throwin_Samoan »

I can't remember anyone else getting a 10-year extension, given an NFL player's relative average career length. But, as you all know, with NFL contracts not guaranteed, the bonus is all he's sure to get. And the Chiefs will only take a dead money hit against their cap if they choose to move on from him in the later years of the deal, but that's Future Guy's problem.

A 10-year contract sounds good, and maybe he will play for the Chiefs for the rest of the contract (he'll only be 25 in September) and maybe whatever he's getting paid on the back end will be a bargain by then.