Page 5 of 9

Re: Random Trivia II

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:52 am
by Bryan
ChrisBabcock wrote:Correct. The two.not guessed yet played on the same team.


Even figuring Tom Fears was one of the players, it took me awhile to get the other guy.

Re: Random Trivia II

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:55 pm
by ChrisBabcock
Bryan wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:Correct. The two.not guessed yet played on the same team.


Even figuring Tom Fears was one of the players, it took me awhile to get the other guy.


Fears is correct.

Re: Random Trivia II

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:59 pm
by Wendell02
ChrisBabcock wrote:
Bryan wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:Correct. The two.not guessed yet played on the same team.


Even figuring Tom Fears was one of the players, it took me awhile to get the other guy.


Fears is correct.


Jim "Red" Phillips.

Re: Random Trivia II

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:56 pm
by ChrisBabcock
Correct. Fears, Phillips, Powell, L. Taylor

Re: Random Trivia II

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:57 am
by Bryan
I may destroy the English language with this question, but...

This coach got his first win with his new team by defeating a team that was quarterbacked by the player that won the coach a championship with his old team. Name the coach, the QB, and the game.

Re: Random Trivia II

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:20 pm
by TanksAndSpartans
This is probably wrong, but I'm currently in the early 30's reading Chris Willis' Dutch Clark bio. Could it be:

Potsy Clark, Dutch Clark and Dodgers v. Lions?

Re: Random Trivia II

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:04 pm
by Bryan
TanksAndSpartans wrote:This is probably wrong, but I'm currently in the early 30's reading Chris Willis' Dutch Clark bio. Could it be:

Potsy Clark, Dutch Clark and Dodgers v. Lions?


Incorrect. I re-worded my question so that it makes more sense.

Re: Random Trivia II

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:32 pm
by TanksAndSpartans
Yeah, I checked. The Dodgers played the Lions in '37, but it wasn't Potsy's first win. I also assumed Dutch was a QB since others feel that way to have a shot at the answer, but to me he was a tailback.

Re: Random Trivia II

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:14 pm
by JuggernautJ
Bryan wrote:I may destroy the English language with this question, but...

This coach got his first win with his new team by defeating a team that was quarterbacked by the player that won the coach a championship with his old team. Name the coach, the QB, and the game.


So, (to paraphrase) we're looking for a coach who:
1. Won a Championship
2. Changed teams
3. Beat his old championship QB in his first win with his new team.

I doubt this is the one you're looking for but...
My man George Wilson coached the Lions to the 1957 NFL Championship. Tobin Rote was the QB who "won him the championship" after Bobby Layne went out for the season with a broken ankle.
In 1966 Wilson became head coach of the expansion Dolphins.
Their first victory was against the Broncos who played two QBs that day, one of whom was Tobin Rote (1 of 2 for 12 yards).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 160mia.htm

Re: Random Trivia II

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:50 pm
by Bryan
JuggernautJ wrote:I doubt this is the one you're looking for but...
My man George Wilson coached the Lions to the 1957 NFL Championship. Tobin Rote was the QB who "won him the championship" after Bobby Layne went out for the season with a broken ankle.
In 1966 Wilson became head coach of the expansion Dolphins.
Their first victory was against the Broncos who played two QBs that day, one of whom was Tobin Rote (1 of 2 for 12 yards).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 160mia.htm


Correct! I was watching highlights of that game and saw Tobin Rote come in for the Broncos in the 2nd half. All Rote did was run around until he got sacked, but I thought Rote had been retired for years.