David Jaynes

7DnBrnc53

David Jaynes

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

What happened to him? Did Jack Rudnay actually get him kicked off of the Chiefs his rookie year?

I was looking at an old Sporting News from 1974, and they had him rated as the best QB in a weak QB class.
Jay Z

Re: David Jaynes

Post by Jay Z »

One columnist said the Chiefs tried to change his throwing motion and he hurt his arm.
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

Jaynes attempted only 2 NFL passes with 1 interception. I remember seeing him play on TV in the 1973 Liberty Bowl when he was a senior at Kansas. A decade later I had a meeting with a former KU college counselor who had a beautiful 16X20 action photo of Jaynes mounted on the wall in his office in Colorado Springs. He was kind of surprised that I remembered seeing Jaynes play in the Liberty Bowl.
Throwin_Samoan

Post by Throwin_Samoan »

First pick of the 1974 WFL Draft!

(He was actually with the Bucs in training camp in 1977. They cut him July 26, and that might have been the end.)
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

The change in throwing motion story was probably what happened, although Paul Wiggin taking over the Chiefs in 1975 probably didn't help his cause. He was traded to Atlanta and reportedly showed up with a sore arm, which got him released a few weeks later. Jaynes said he didn't get along with Falcons OC Bill Nelsen, while the presence of top pick Steve Bartkowski and others also was a likely drawback.

Interestingly, one of the other QB's in the Chiefs 1975 camp was another sore-armed quarterback, Greg Cook, who was released at the end of August. The Bengals had no room for him and Wiggin had played for Brown.