Most competitive games played in a season

NWebster

Most competitive games played in a season

Post by NWebster »

I won't quarrel about how pre-season games used to mean something.

But Bart Oats played all 18 regular season games for the Baltimore Stars in 1985, then in their 3 playoff games. He played in all 16 regular season games that the New York Giants played that year - starting 14 of them. He then played in the 12/29 playoff game versus the 49ers before the year ended. Therefore he played 38 games that season, has anyone played more? Maybe a CFL to USFL player in more recent years?
TanksAndSpartans

Re: Most competitive games played in a season

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I can't answer the question you asked, but if you had phrased the part about Oates as a question, I would have guessed Maurice Carthon. I think he played with the Generals and then the Giants, probably the same time period. Was he close to Oates?
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Another player I think if is Ross Browner, DE for the Houston Gamblers and Cincinnati Bengals in 1985.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:I can't answer the question you asked, but if you had phrased the part about Oates as a question, I would have guessed Maurice Carthon. I think he played with the Generals and then the Giants, probably the same time period. Was he close to Oates?
The generals lost their first playoff game in '85 so Carthon in 2 games short at 36.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Teo wrote:Another player I think if is Ross Browner, DE for the Houston Gamblers and Cincinnati Bengals in 1985.
He only played 5 games with the Gamblers in '85. Had he played the full season her be close but still with fewer as the Gamblers and Bengals didn't have the playoff games. He might however, had he played more with the Gamblers have had the most games in the shortest period having played in the Fall with the Bengals in both '84 and '85 with Spring for the Gamblers sandwiched in between.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

NWebster wrote:I won't quarrel about how pre-season games used to mean something.

But Bart Oats played all 18 regular season games for the Baltimore Stars in 1985, then in their 3 playoff games. He played in all 16 regular season games that the New York Giants played that year - starting 14 of them. He then played in the 12/29 playoff game versus the 49ers before the year ended. Therefore he played 38 games that season, has anyone played more? Maybe a CFL to USFL player in more recent years?
Didn't Oates say at the time, '85, that he felt his Stars could beat (Swamp Fox's) Eagles?
Throwin_Samoan

Post by Throwin_Samoan »

"Season" and "Calendar year" are not the same thing.

Oates played his 38 games in one calendar year, but in two seasons. He would seem to be the leader in the clubhouse.