Need Help Regarding CFL rule

vikingsfan1963

Need Help Regarding CFL rule

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

Reading the Dolphins-Chiefs game with no kickoffs made me recall this bizarre CFL rule. I may have it wrong and it may not even be implemented in recent years, but following a score couldn't the team being scored upon elect to kick off? I seem to recall the Edmonton Eskimos going with this option when it was blowing out a team (Ottawa) during an NBC broadcast back when the NFL was on strike. I think NBC only did a couple weeks worth of broadcasts because the games were so lopsided.
rhickok1109

Re: Need Help Regarding CFL rule

Post by rhickok1109 »

vikingsfan1963 wrote:Reading the Dolphins-Chiefs game with no kickoffs made me recall this bizarre CFL rule. I may have it wrong and it may not even be implemented in recent years, but following a score couldn't the team being scored upon elect to kick off? I seem to recall the Edmonton Eskimos going with this option when it was blowing out a team (Ottawa) during an NBC broadcast back when the NFL was on strike. I think NBC only did a couple weeks worth of broadcasts because the games were so lopsided.
So far as I know, the rule hasn't changed. The team scored upon can choose to receive the kickoff. to kick off itself, or to take the ball at its own 35-yard line without any kickoff at all.
Throwin_Samoan

Post by Throwin_Samoan »

It's not just a CFL rule.

The high school rule in this country is that after a try, the opponent of the scoring team designates which team kicks off. I would imagine 99.999% of the time, they designate the scoring team to kick off. But it's their choice. You could be up by a bunch of points and have no quarterbacks left or something, and decide just to play defense again.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

I don't recall ever seeing it happen but the CFL rules state that a team can choose to kick off after having a TD scored upon them.

Also, to clarify Ralph's post, a team can choose to start a possession on their 35 yard line only after a FG has been scored against them. This choice is not available after a TD.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

JohnH19 wrote:I don't recall ever seeing it happen but the CFL rules state that a team can choose to kick off after having a TD scored upon them.

Also, to clarify Ralph's post, a team can choose to start a possession on their 35 yard line only after a FG has been scored against them. This choice is not available after a TD.
Thanks for the clarification!