Favorite PFRA Forum 'moments'

Bryan

Favorite PFRA Forum 'moments'

Post by Bryan »

What is your favorite thread, most enlightening posting, etc. in your PFRA forum history?

Mine is from when I first joined PFRA, which is something like 20 years ago. I had only been posting on the forum for a few weeks, when the topic of Total Football's listing of 200 Greatest Players came up. Someone took Bob Carroll to task for including Tom Dempsey in the list, and it was constant fireworks for three straight days. Bob Carroll was the president of PFRA, but he took on all comers and pulled no punches. It was hilarious to me, and convinced me of the worthiness of PFRA.
JuggernautJ

Re: Favorite PFRA Forum 'moments'

Post by JuggernautJ »

I don't know if it's my "favorite moment" but when you mentioned Bob and your "early days" here it reminded me of:
I had just started to study football history, just purchased Total Football and had just found this forum.
I'd been looking up my favorite players in TF and discovered a discrepancy in Johnny Robinson's interception totals; they were listed differently under his biography and the "Records" section.
So, not knowing who Bob was (or what the PFRA was all about) I posted a question regarding that discrepancy asking "I've always wondered which was correct..."

Bob's reply was "Yes, I'm sure you have."
Taciturn and to the point, Bob acerbically corrected my sentence structure before he ever answered my question.
I still smile when I think of that. I wish I had gotten to meet Bob... I'm sure he was a hell of a guy and a hell of a teacher...
But "I've always wondered" how long I might've lasted in one of his classes....