WRs better known for being with their 2nd or 3rd teams

Lee Elder

Re: WRs better known for being with their 2nd or 3rd teams

Post by Lee Elder »

Elroy Hirsch started with the Chicago Rockets of the AAFC, through the Rams and the NFL on his way to the HoF.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

JuggernautJ wrote:Bobby Mitchell and Paul Warfield, both ex-Browns, come to mind.
Maybe Mitchell, but Warfield was already an established star and the reason why it took the fourth pick in the draft for the Dolphins to get him.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

BD Sullivan wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote:Bobby Mitchell and Paul Warfield, both ex-Browns, come to mind.
Maybe Mitchell, but Warfield was already an established star and the reason why it took the fourth pick in the draft for the Dolphins to get him.
Perhaps it's my personal prejudices (I barely recall seeing Warfield play as a Brown, I would've been 10 when he left) but I do recall (vividly) the early '70's Dolphins. Maybe that's why I think of Warfield as being "better known" in Miami.
Halas Hall

Post by Halas Hall »

Ed McCaffrey started slowly with the Giants, then met greater success with the 49ers and Broncos.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

JuggernautJ wrote:
BD Sullivan wrote:
Perhaps it's my personal prejudices (I barely recall seeing Warfield play as a Brown, I would've been 10 when he left) but I do recall (vividly) the early '70's Dolphins. Maybe that's why I think of Warfield as being "better known" in Miami.
I think Warfield is a guy where there can be a legitimate difference of opinion as to which team he's more associated with. I think Miami myself, but I could listen to arguments for Cleveland.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Andre Rison
Wes Chandler
Freddie Scott
Freddie Solomon
Wallace Francis
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Teo wrote:Andre Rison
Wes Chandler
Freddie Scott
Freddie Solomon
Wallace Francis
Was Rison ever known for being on any one particular team? I think IIRC he holds the records for most different teams to score a touchdown for. (7 I think)
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

conace21 wrote: I think Warfield is a guy where there can be a legitimate difference of opinion as to which team he's more associated with. I think Miami myself, but I could listen to arguments for Cleveland.
Warfield was an all-pro with both Cleveland and Miami so I don't think he qualifies for this list. I call it a draw.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

JohnH19 wrote:
conace21 wrote: I think Warfield is a guy where there can be a legitimate difference of opinion as to which team he's more associated with. I think Miami myself, but I could listen to arguments for Cleveland.
Warfield was an all-pro with both Cleveland and Miami so I don't think he qualifies for this list. I call it a draw.
The reason why Miami Warfield gets more visibility than the (original) Cleveland version is obviously the fact that the Dolphins were a mini-dynasty where highlights are constantly being shown, whereas the Browns were "only" "a consistently solid team that won their last title in ancient times (aka pre-Super Bowl)
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

BD Sullivan wrote:
JohnH19 wrote:
Couldn't agree more, Warfield was just as good a Brown but the Browns didn't reach the levels of the Find. Even though the Browns were very good.

The reason why Miami Warfield gets more visibility than the (original) Cleveland version is obviously the fact that the Dolphins were a mini-dynasty where highlights are constantly being shown, whereas the Browns were "only" "a consistently solid team that won their last title in ancient times (aka pre-Super Bowl)