Pick an OL as a past Super Bowl MVP.

Todd Pence

Pick an OL as a past Super Bowl MVP.

Post by Todd Pence »

In the 54-year history of the Super Bowl, no offensive lineman has ever won the Most Valuable Player award for a Super Bowl game. Is there a game in the past where an OL is deserving of the award? Which game would you choose?
JWL

Re: Pick an OL as a past Super Bowl MVP.

Post by JWL »

I have seen people say Dave Herman could have been the MVP of Super Bowl 3.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Was the old joke that John Wilbur should have gotten it in Super Bowl VII, since he tried his best to make Manny Fernandez the MVP?

I think Dr. Z voted for Blaine Nye in SB VI along with Duane Thomas. Kuechenberg did a nice job on Alan Page in SB VIII, but it's hard with Csonka's 145 yards to not give the RB the MVP. Maybe Art Shell in SB XI, since no skill position player really put up big numbers.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

I've heard it said the Winston Hill (or Matt Snell) could've been MVP of Super Bowl III (but of course, no one was going to take it away from Mr. Guarantee).

Art Shell might've been a good choice.
According to the Hall of Fame web-site Shell "was credited with a nearly perfect performance against Jim Marshall, the Minnesota Vikings sterling defensive end, in Super Bowl XI."

The Hogs might've received the award as a unit in Washington's destruction of the Broncos in Super Bowl XXII.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

I like Blaine Nye because of the lack of competition. Staubach threw for 2 TDS, but 119 yards?!? Duane Thomas didn't run for 100 yards either.

Dave Herman was given credit for switching positions so that Bob Talamini could play guard. But the Jets ran away from Bubba and Bubba still had a sack. Winston Hill dominated Ordell Braase, who was taken out of the game later on.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Alan Faneca, SBXL