Sporting News Football Registers

CraigRye

Re: Sporting News Football Registers

Post by CraigRye »

[/quote]
Well, I do have that info on my site (http://www.profootballarchives.com) except for the "Western movies, jazz and sports in general."[/quote]

Just had a quick look at your site and it seems your USFL 1984 pages have corrupted for passing and receiving. I looked at Jacksonville and New Jersey Generals and it doesn't show the names of the players for the passing and receiving stats. Not sure about the others.

Excellent site though.
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

CraigRye wrote:
Well, I do have that info on my site (http://www.profootballarchives.com) except for the "Western movies, jazz and sports in general."[/quote]

Just had a quick look at your site and it seems your USFL 1984 pages have corrupted for passing and receiving. I looked at Jacksonville and New Jersey Generals and it doesn't show the names of the players for the passing and receiving stats. Not sure about the others.

Excellent site though.[/quote]
Thanks for the heads up. I will get those fixed.
lietzaro24

Post by lietzaro24 »

Throwin_Samoan wrote:Welcome, Rob.

Yeah, I had actually ordered the 1986 USFL Guide and Register, only to have them not print it when the trial went the way it did and the 1986 season was scrubbed. That would have been a great resource to have. (Somewhere, someone has the galleys, darn it!)

Some team media guides will list starters for games of the previous year. (I'm looking at Houston's 1985 guide right now, which has a participation chart showing who played and who started each game, but you're on your own figuring out who played LCB vs RCB when it just says a guy was a CB.) I looked through a few just now and Houston was the only one of the first four I looked at that had such a chart, but it may very well be that others do, too. (I have them all, FWIW.)

In the absence of the game books that are such a great resource for NFL games (and even leagues of more recent vintage), you have to kind of piece things together.
That's good information about the USFL media guides. I'm debating on whether to start collecting them or not. When you say piecing things together, you are 100% correct. I have an 18 page spreadsheet going collecting information from different resources so I can put the whole league together in one package for the '84 season.

TSN registers are good for Active status and participation (for the most part) although I have found a few errors on games played, here and there. Figuring out Starting lineups is the biggest hangup that I have. For some teams it is relatively easy to figure out most of their lineups for the whole season. Arizona, Houston, NJ, Philly, Michigan, Birmingham and LA were the easiest due to larger amounts of TV exposure and the presence of most of their games on youtube. The rest of the league is a lot tougher to figure out without more information. I'll just keep going with trying to figure out week by week active rosters for now and hope that a 14 team lot of 1985 media guides pops up on ebay at some point. I know that won't help with Pittsburgh and Chicago research but the other 16 teams from 1984 should be at least somewhat covered due to the 2 mergers and the other 12 teams returning.

It would be great if gamebooks for USFL were available somewhere but with the league being defunct for over 3 decades I'm sure most of whatever was available has disappeared. If anyone here has anything like that or any USFL game information at all, it would be greatly appreciated to get some stuff up on the members only section of the site.