Computer simulations for a mac

JuggernautJ

Re: Computer simulations for a mac

Post by JuggernautJ »

lastcat3 wrote:....Where as with Stratomatic you are playing with the same exact player cards all the time.
While it is true that each player card is immutable unique cards are issued for each season.
Therefore, for example, the 1981 Joe Montana card is very different from his 1989 card.
Each card is based on the actual performance of a player during any given season.
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

RyanChristiansen wrote:You can run Windows on a Mac.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468
As well as Linux. For a while, one of the Windows OSs was reported to run faster on a Mac using Parallels or Bootcamp simulation than on a Windows machine. I have only used it in the past - Windows 7 or 8 - and it worked well for the apps I needed, but they were not graphics-intensive nor using video (not sure if the simulations you all are talking about need that and now I am probably going to wander down than worm hole).

Bootcamp needs a fair amount of memory, too.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

JuggernautJ wrote:
lastcat3 wrote:....Where as with Stratomatic you are playing with the same exact player cards all the time.
While it is true that each player card is immutable unique cards are issued for each season.
Therefore, for example, the 1981 Joe Montana card is very different from his 1989 card.
Each card is based on the actual performance of a player during any given season.
I know however that is what hurts my enjoyment of stratomatic. The 1981 49ers are always going to play like the 1981 49ers and if you want a 49ers team that doesn't play like the '81 9ers you have to buy entirely new cards. With FOF you simply buy the game and teams and players will grow and age naturally as you progress through your ongoing universe.

I guess the difference in enjoying stratomatic or front office football more is in how much you prefer playing with real players over fictional ones. I like playing with real players too and always start off my careers with the real players however I will always choose a game where you will eventually be playing with made up players over a game where you have to play with the same team all the time and if you want to play with a different team well you just have to dish over more money.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

lastcat3 wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote:
I know however that is what hurts my enjoyment of stratomatic. The 1981 49ers are always going to play like the 1981 49ers....
I guess the difference in enjoying stratomatic or front office football more is in how much you prefer playing with real players over fictional ones.
To me this is a great feature and not a bug.
Saying the '81 Niners are always going to play like the '81 Niners (although not 100% accurate) allows one to learn about the team as one plays it. I've learned a LOT about the 1957 Detroit Lions (and Niners and Browns and Colts, etc) by playing them repeatedly.
It's (imo) similar to learning about D-Day by playing a war game (historical simulation).

It is cool that there is more than one way to enjoy football simulations.
I've played several and enjoyed them all.
But I'll always come back to Strat-O-Matic!
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

JuggernautJ wrote: To me this is a great feature and not a bug.
Saying the '81 Niners are always going to play like the '81 Niners (although not 100% accurate) allows one to learn about the team as one plays it. I've learned a LOT about the 1957 Detroit Lions (and Niners and Browns and Colts, etc) by playing them repeatedly.
It's (imo) similar to learning about D-Day by playing a war game (historical simulation).

It is cool that there is more than one way to enjoy football simulations.
I've played several and enjoyed them all.
But I'll always come back to Strat-O-Matic!
Yeah it is good to have different types of simulation games on the market to fit the interests of what different people will be looking for. Though I enjoy playing with strat teams for awhile I always will go back to the simulation games that allow you to draft new players into your league and the existing players will age and eventually retire. In the league I am doing now it is finishing up the year 2041 and the Jets of all teams have won five championships since the league started in the 2015 season.