The Three Ring Circus known as the NFL Draft

sheajets

The Three Ring Circus known as the NFL Draft

Post by sheajets »

The NFL continues to make this event more WWF Wrestlemania-like. Now you have prospects pretty much one upping each other as to who can wear the most idiotic costume and have the most grotesque entourage. They have hyped and hyped this into the stratosphere to the point where it's more about contrived nonsense (hey let's trot Drew Pearson on stage in Philly so he can get booed...let's have a monkey select the Colts pick etc) than actual serious football discussion. Any discussion of fashion or what players are wearing needs to be totally eradicated as well.

And you know they're just begging for some exuberant prospect to cannonball into the fountain, more fodder for the social media obsessed lemmings.

The draft will take place on April 23-25, and the red carpet stage will be be placed on the lake in front of the iconic Bellagio hotel. Boats will carry players and VIPs to the action.

I do still enjoy those real moments where you see a players lifelong dreams come true, tearing up while embracing mom and dad. Or a kid who dedicates his career to a deceased parent or grandparent who always believed in him. It's nice to see the moment when that phone rings
Oszuscik

Re: The Three Ring Circus known as the NFL Draft

Post by Oszuscik »

I do miss the good old days where I’d wake up on Saturday, watch Rounds 1-3 all day, then do the same thing Sunday with Rounds 4-7. Football Christmas I’d call it. All homework was blown off until late Sunday night. Good times.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Oszuscik wrote:I do miss the good old days where I’d wake up on Saturday, watch Rounds 1-3 all day, then do the same thing Sunday with Rounds 4-7. Football Christmas I’d call it. All homework was blown off until late Sunday night. Good times.
Yup, miss those days, also.

Plus, the only complaint(s) back then were when they'd get to the later rounds and picks would just be scrolling across the screen while they showed video of the 1st rounders for the millionth time. Or how there was/is a long history of managing to goto commercial everytime the Seahawks are "on the clock". But it was about the actual draft and seeing what players went to what teams.

Now it's about everything else and they get behind picks immediately because they're more interested in the 'show' and all the nonsense that doesn't matter.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

I can recall the days when the draft was held on a Tuesday-Wednesday in late January. I forget which player said that he found out he'd been drafted in the first round (on a pay phone, no less) after he got back to his dorm following a class.