Notable REGULAR SEASON Packers/Forty Niners games

74_75_78_79_

Notable REGULAR SEASON Packers/Forty Niners games

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Yes, there are the seven playoff showdowns between both that we all know so well, with GB having the 4-3 edge. But this thread will ask to choose from the...61 regular season ones - with Packers having the lead there as well, 32-28-1.

I'll start with their '98 match at Lambeau - two months and two days before their Classic wild card game! This was a Week #9 game. Each team already had a bye week. SF was 6-1 going in; the Pack 5-2. Green Bay opened a 16-0 first quarter lead starting with a Favre-to-Freeman 80-yard TD at the game's very beginning. Forty Niners closed the gap, 19-13, at the half and then add on another 9-unanswered by the end of the 3rd making it SF 22 GB 19. Perhaps it may have provided a sign that SF was just about ready to finally beat Holmgren's Packers. But it will have to indeed wait until two months later for the Pack would outscore the opposition 17-0 in that final quarter for the 36-22 win. Holmgren now 5-0 vs SF (3-0 vs Seifert, 2-0 vs Mariucci).
Oszuscik

Re: Notable REGULAR SEASON Packers/Forty Niners games

Post by Oszuscik »

Most notable to me has to be their 1996 matchup on Monday Night Football. Robert Brooks was lost for the season with a torn ACL. Don Beebe came in and caught a 59 yard TD where he MAY have actually been down. Game goes to OT tied at 20 when Chris Jacke kicks a 53 yard FG to win the game. Made all the difference in the playoff seeding as the Packers finished 13-3 and the 49ers 12-4.

That game was a classic.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

The 1996 Monday nighter gets the nod. That game had it all.

Otherwise:

- Final Sunday of 1965, 49ers gain an upset tie at Kezar, forcing the playoff between Green Bay and Baltimore.
- 1968, led by third-string QB Billy Stevens, Packers give up a 20-7 lead by having to continually punt into a fierce second-half wind; GB dynasty effectively expires.
- 1989, Majkowski and the Cardiac Pack shock 10-point favorite 49ers.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

In the 49ers' first NFL season, 1950, there was an odd bit of scheduling. The 49ers' last two games of the season were against the Packers, at Green Bay's City Stadium on Nov. 26 and at Kezar Stadium in San Francisco two weeks later, on Dec. 10. (On Dec. 3, the 49ers had what amount to a bye week, while the Packers played the Rams at LA.)

I saw the game at Green Bay. The 49ers led 21-13 at the end of three quarters, but the Packers scored two TDs in the 4th quarter to win 25-21. Halfback Breezy caught a 44-yard pass from Paul Christman for the winning TD.

After getting blown out 51-14 by the Rams, the Packers then lost 30-14 at San Francisco. Both teams finished 3-9, so the games didn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

The 49ers and Packers met on November 24, 1963, with the Pack winning 28-10. One of the retrospectives on that weekend noted that they played the National Anthem and immediately after it ended, Lombardi and Starr both looked at each other and had tears in their eyes.

In the first 20 years after the 49ers joined the NFL, the Packers played in SF 18 times, all but two of the games being played during December.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

In their last regular season game, the Packers played the 49ers to a 24-24 tie. Packers lose that game and the season is over for them and Baltimore wins the Western Conference. The tie gets them into a playoff game with the Colts that they won and went on to win the championship game against Cleveland.

I never saw that game, but wonder why Green Bay had such a tough time against a 7-6-1 49ers team. I would think that the Packers would have beaten San Francisco easily considering how important that game was for Green Bay.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

BD Sullivan wrote:The 49ers and Packers met on November 24, 1963, with the Pack winning 28-10. One of the retrospectives on that weekend noted that they played the National Anthem and immediately after it ended, Lombardi and Starr both looked at each other and had tears in their eyes.

In the first 20 years after the 49ers joined the NFL, the Packers played in SF 18 times, all but two of the games being played during December.
From 1950 through 1963, the Packers always ended the season with games in Los Angeles and San Francisco.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

I was a little guy (11 years old) but I vaguely remember the 1970, week 6 match-up.
I don't actually recall any of the game (other than that I saw it on TV with my dad) but I do remember the feeling that the Niners had gotten over a "hump," defeating the (once-) mighty Packers in what turned out to be their first Division Title season.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 010sfo.htm
Oszuscik

Post by Oszuscik »

BD Sullivan wrote:The 49ers and Packers met on November 24, 1963, with the Pack winning 28-10. One of the retrospectives on that weekend noted that they played the National Anthem and immediately after it ended, Lombardi and Starr both looked at each other and had tears in their eyes.
Two days after the JFK assassination, I’d imagine that was the reason why. Too soon afterwards for games to be played.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Of course '89 is remembered, but the Pack weren't far from beating SF yet again in 1990. This time the game would be at Lambeau. Maj & Co opened up an early 10-point lead vs the 7-0 Forty Niners in that Week #9 affair, before eventually allowing SF to rally to a 24-20 victory. GB was now 3-5 after that match, but would beat the playoff-bound Raiders, in LA, the following week by 13. Majkowski would suffer a season-ending injury the follow week at Phoenix despite winning anyway, Dilweg would guide Pack over TB the next game; but GB would lose-out the rest of the way to a 6-10 finish.