Bill Cohwer one of 2 coaches in Centenial Class

JohnTurney

Re: Bill Cohwer one of 2 coaches in Centenial Class

Post by JohnTurney »

Andy Piascik wrote:That they chose Johnson and especially Cowher over Parker does not bode well, I fear, for the old-time players.
it is a concern. A long time ago I posted in inital talks there was talk, and it was just that "talk" that it was going to be mostly newer players rather
than the old-timers

Then, I was excited with the finalists and half of them being old-timers so I was hopeful.

Now, I don't know what to think...but I agree, this is not a great sign.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

*i suppose Johnson should probably get in--if only because the jackass who fired him got in last year.

*Reeves and Mike Shanahan both presumably have statues of Elway on their property. Shanahan's record with Elway (including postseason): 54-18 (.750) and two Super Bowls; without: 92.73 (.558) and 1-4 in the postseason.

Why do I get the feeling that some of the HOF voters are saying, "I don't know anything about this Buddy Parker guy..."
JohnTurney

THis is starting point for SB-era coaches, NO?

Post by JohnTurney »

JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

saw this Tweet---no idea if it's accurate or now....
@NFLonCBS
@richeisen and 3 others
I think Fox had heard your tweet and unfortunately, it isn't going to happen tonight
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

So now the HOF announcements are just a game show.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I don’t like the way David Baker goes with the enshrinees and his protagonism. For the casual fan (and sometimes even me) it seems that only he picks who gets in and who doesn’t. I predict he will have a bust in Canton before most of this year’s nominees.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Teo wrote:I don’t like the way David Baker goes with the enshrinees and his protagonism. For the casual fan (and sometimes even me) it seems that only he picks who gets in and who doesn’t. I predict he will have a bust in Canton before most of this year’s nominees.
he's quite the guy

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

BD Sullivan wrote:So now the HOF announcements are just a game show.
And thus ends any doubt remaining that the NFL is nothing more than a marketing tool and the PFHoF is just another profit center.

I expect that like the Pro Bowl, soon fans will be allowed to be part of the PFHoF voting.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
JWL

Post by JWL »

Ronfitch wrote:
And thus ends any doubt remaining that the NFL is nothing more than a marketing tool and the PFHoF is just another profit center.

I expect that like the Pro Bowl, soon fans will be allowed to be part of the PFHoF voting.
I agree although Johnson and Cowher are not egregious selections. The problem is they could have been selected down the road. This seems like the last good shot for Buddy Parker. There might be other chances for Don Coryell but maybe not.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JWL wrote:
Ronfitch wrote:

I agree although Johnson and Cowher are not egregious selections. The problem is they could have been selected down the road. This seems like the last good shot for Buddy Parker. There might be other chances for Don Coryell but maybe not.
Issue for Coryell is what path? SO hard to be one of the final 5 guys when competing with players. If you had a lot of rings, it could get done, Walsh, Noll, etc... but for
a guy who's 'HOF ticket' is innovation, seems like there is no path without a "Centennial"/special type thing.

That's what bothers me, and I need to shut up because I keep making the same point, the fact that Cowher and Johnson (less so) got in on a special deal, a supposed "make up"
class for the forgotten or the ones who were good but cannot compete with a player.

Parker and Coryell would have been great in that role. But, it's their HOF and the NFL donates a lot of money to it, and the owners do, too. and then they get on the board
and then they get elected. (DeBartolo, Jones, Bowlen)