Rupert Patrick

Todd Pence

Re: Rupert Patrick

Post by Todd Pence »

Wow. This guy worked tirelessly to help preserve the history of the game. This is a tremendous loss to the forum.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Very sad news. I only knew him from his postings on this board but he was always in my opinion one of the more thought provoking posters we have here. When someone had some random question about nfl history he was often one of the first ones to give a detailed response no matter what the question tended to be.

I remember him saying in passing on occasion that he did have heart issues (think it was when people were talking about a certain pfra meeting and where good places to eat at would be).
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

If people don't mind me asking was Rupert Patrick his real name? Tried to google his obituary but couldn't find it (believe he lived in Charlotte North Carolina).
Oszuscik

Post by Oszuscik »

lastcat3 wrote:If people don't mind me asking was Rupert Patrick his real name? Tried to google his obituary but couldn't find it (believe he lived in Charlotte North Carolina).
I tried Google searching his obituary earlier too but wasn’t able to find it.
JWL

Post by JWL »

lastcat3 wrote:If people don't mind me asking was Rupert Patrick his real name? Tried to google his obituary but couldn't find it (believe he lived in Charlotte North Carolina).
Yes
Wendell02

Post by Wendell02 »

Just saw this. Terrible. I met Rupert at the Buffalo convention. Great researcher and an outstanding gentleman. His profile indicates that he lived in upstate South Carolina.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Wendell02 wrote:Just saw this. Terrible. I met Rupert at the Buffalo convention. Great researcher and an outstanding gentleman. His profile indicates that he lived in upstate South Carolina.
Yeah I saw that after I posted that message. I had North Carolina in my head for some reason.
Ken Pullis

Post by Ken Pullis »

I offer my condolences as well, Rupert had become an email friend over the last two years as we shared interests in field goal distances and gamebooks. He had become our greatest resource for pre-1970 gamebooks and play-by-plays. I was really looking forward to seeing him this summer. Coincidentally I lost my wife to cancer on the same day, two weeks ago.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

Ken Pullis wrote:I offer my condolences as well, Rupert had become an email friend over the last two years as we shared interests in field goal distances and gamebooks. He had become our greatest resource for pre-1970 gamebooks and play-by-plays. I was really looking forward to seeing him this summer. Coincidentally I lost my wife to cancer on the same day, two weeks ago.
I am sorry for your loss, Ken.
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

I'm sorry to hear the news about Rupert Patrick. I first met him at the 2008 PFRA meeting in Monroeville, Pennsylvania, after PFRA revived the tradition of biennial meetings. It's my understanding that Rupert was one of the few people who had been at all the PFRA conventions this century, whether in Canton, Mount Laurel NJ, Cleveland, Green Bay or Buffalo, and that he was preparing for this year's get together as well.