Rupert Patrick

JohnH19

Re: Rupert Patrick

Post by JohnH19 »

How very sad. I met Rupert at the Green Bay conference in 2016. I hope that all the work he put into his statistical research of field goal kicking history somehow sees publication but I don’t know if anyone else has access to it.
R.I.P. Rupert.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Terrible news, I met Rupert in past Conventions and he was a great person and contributor. He will be missed. My condolences to his family and all that knew and loved him.
Last edited by Gary Najman on Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

So sorry to hear about this! Good guy, from what I could tell from his posts, very knowledgeable especially about place kickers. Good citizen in these forums.

Thanks for letting us know, Ken.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Incredibly sad news. I also figured as soon as I saw the subject. I only ever knew him on this site. Threw more than his fair share of knowledge out at me like very many of you here have. Condolences to his family and friends. May God be with them. RIP, Rupert.
Andy Piascik

Post by Andy Piascik »

Sad news about a nice guy and a very dedicated football researcher.
ehaight

Post by ehaight »

Just awful.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

In an e-mail with another PFRA member last week before the Wild Card games I was asked, "what are your playoff predictions?" and I literally responded with, "I'll post them in the thread that Rupert usually makes" ... Didn't come and seemed like he hadn't posted in a while.

A forum staple. Going back to previous incarnations of our forum. But on this one, as of current, the second most posts on the forum:

BD Sullivan - 2101
Rupert Patrick - 1746
74_75_78_79_ - 1638
JohnTurney - 1457
Reaser - 1359

When there was a PFRA group or book project to be done, he almost always volunteered and generally was the first to volunteer. Plus of course was on PFRA Gamebooks Committee. Tangible work.

Perhaps a note or a special thanks for all his work acquiring, organizing, updating, etc, so many gamebooks -which was something he did for all of us- can forever be listed in our gamebook section?
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

JohnH19 wrote:How very sad. I met Rupert at the Green Bay conference in 2016. I hope that all the work he put into his statistical research of field goal kicking history somehow sees publication but I don’t know if anyone else has access to it.

I think he had another book in the works too, didn't he? Judging from his occasional comments about it, it was going to include articles about the best games of each season, and probably other similar things. He seemed to be almost finished with that one, so I hope it can be completed and published.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

oh my goodness. :cry: I feared this would be the news when I saw the subject of this thread. I had the pleasure of meeting Rupert at the 2018 Buffalo convention and sat across from him when a bunch of us went out to Cole's for wings on Saturday night. We talked a bit about his research on kickers and kicking accuracy. He emailed me a few sample chapters of his book a few weeks after that. Also his work on collecting and "repairing" game books was nothing short of amazing. Not to detract from the discussion and remembrances in this thread, did he share with others in the PFRA (or do we have access to) all the pdf files he was collecting and piecing together for the game books? It would be a shame to have all that hard work stuck on his hard drive and lost to us.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Very sad news. He will be missed here. -J