NFL 100 CB, S, STs

conace21

Re: NFL 100 CB, S, STs

Post by conace21 »

JWL wrote:The toughest time to play cornerback has arguably been the past quarter century. Nobody from that period made the cornerback list. (I'm not counting the latter stage of Green's career here). I have this as a pretty awful mistake by the panel. Yes, Sanders made it and played in the past 25 years but he had made the 75th Anniversary Team. There should have been a post-Sanders guy on this team. There were multiple quality candidates.
Just a note that it was Rod Woodson who made the 75th Anniversary Team. Deion did not. But Deion didn't make this team for anything he did in the 21st century.
I do agree that someone like Charles Woodson would have been a better pick than Green.
JWL

Post by JWL »

conace21 wrote:
JWL wrote:The toughest time to play cornerback has arguably been the past quarter century. Nobody from that period made the cornerback list. (I'm not counting the latter stage of Green's career here). I have this as a pretty awful mistake by the panel. Yes, Sanders made it and played in the past 25 years but he had made the 75th Anniversary Team. There should have been a post-Sanders guy on this team. There were multiple quality candidates.
Just a note that it was Rod Woodson who made the 75th Anniversary Team. Deion did not. But Deion didn't make this team for anything he did in the 21st century.
I do agree that someone like Charles Woodson would have been a better pick than Green.
Did Sanders make it as a returner? Whether he did or did not, I shouldn't make posts that early in the morning. Anyway, it really hit me last night late in the SNF game when the announcers talked about the latest selections for the All-Time Team. I realized then that all the cornerback selections either played much of or all of their careers prior to the 75th year point in the league's history.

Based on the way the sport was played and the rules of the particular eras, this team needed at least one linebacker from the 1960s, one running back from the 1970s and 1980s, one cornerback from the late 2000s and/or 2010s, one wide receiver from the 1990s or later, and one tight end from the 1990s or later. There is a strong emphasis on "at least one" in the prior sentence. This team not having at least one out of Bailey, Revis, C. Woodson, Sherman, Peterson is bad.

I'm not going to be like the average 22-year old I'm seeing elsewhere online that is saying the whole thing is trash and should be invalidated because LaDainian Tomlinson or J.J. Watt or Asante Samuel (yes, I've seen multiple complaints about Samuel's omission) did not make it but I will say this panel got one cornerback slot very, very wrong.
Last edited by JWL on Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

JohnTurney wrote:
TanksAndSpartans wrote:Thanks John. I actually did OK predicting this round - I hit on all the special teams and only missed 2 DBs:

CB (6/7): Night Train Lane, Deion Sanders, Mel Blount, Mike Haynes, R. Woodson, Willie Brown
Missed on Green, I had Herb Adderly

S (5/6): Lott, Tunnell, Reed, Houston, Larry Wilson
Missed on Christiansen, I had Willie Wood

KR (2/2): Billy White Shoes Johnson, Hester

K (2/2): Stenerud, Vinatieri

P (2/2): Guy, Lechler

This wasn't my team - just my predictions based on 50 yr team, 75 yr team, and watching these kinds of shows before.
I would have preferred Adderly to green, too. And Dawkins over Houston.

KRs okay---Lechler, no way. But still, the BR committee did very well, IMO
I would also have preferred Adderley, but I would stuck with Houston: in the 70s no one was better. He is the only player to have been selected to each Pro Bowl in the 70s (in a time when only players and coaches made the selections, and players whose teams went into the Super Bowl also played in the Pro Bowl).
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Lary is going to be an interesting footnote for this 'team' as the only one who will end up being a finalist at two positions.

More interesting, when considering the above, is that he won't be on the 'team'.

Even more interesting in terms of selecting the 'team', is that they explicitly said that players could not be voted for at two positions and players that were getting votes at multiple positions were then placed at one position. Yet, Lary was a finalist at S and P. Assume that means they just couldn't name anymore punters and just left him there, which would sum things up.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

JWL wrote:
conace21 wrote:
Did Sanders make it as a returner? Whether he did or did not, I shouldn't make posts that early in the morning. Anyway, it really hit me last night late in the SNF game when the announcers talked about the latest selections for the All-Time Team. I realized then that all the cornerback selections either played much of or all of their careers prior to the 75th year point in the league's history.

Based on the way the sport was played and the rules of the particular eras, this team needed at least one linebacker from the 1960s, one running back from the 1970s and 1980s, one cornerback from the late 2000s and/or 2010s, one wide receiver from the 1990s or later, and one tight end from the 1990s or later. There is a strong emphasis on "at least one" in the prior sentence. This team not having at least one out of Bailey, Revis, C. Woodson, Sherman, Peterson is bad.

I'm not going to be like the average 22-year old I'm seeing elsewhere on line that is saying the whole thing is trash and should be invalidated because LaDainian Tomlinson or J.J. Watt or Asante Samuel (yes, I've seen multiple complaints about Samuel's omission) did not make it but I will say this panel got one cornerback slot very, very wrong.
Sayers was officially the all time team's kick returner and Billy Johnson was the punt returner. Remember, Sanders had his greatest defensive season with SF in 1994 (the year after the 75th Anniversary Team was selected) and his best years as a punt returner were 1997-1999. As of 1994, he had 2 PR TD's and 3 KOR TD's, but he averaged only 8.5 yards per PR and 23 yards per KR.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Hmm. Great choices. But I'm surprised Paul Krause is not on the list for S.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

sluggermatt15 wrote:Hmm. Great choices. But I'm surprised Paul Krause is not on the list for S.
I'm happy he's not.

Share the thoughts of many others here, I'm ok with Willie Brown but hate the Darrell Green pick and would replace him with either Revis or Sherman . . . not a Bailey or Peterson fan, could be convinced on Charles Woodson.

The Lechter pick is a bad one as well, he's off this year but Hekker I think belongs on the list.

Finally, and I knew this would happen, but I'd prefer Justin Tucker over Adam Vinatierri. Also somewhat surprised - adjusted for era - that Groza didn't make it.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

NWebster wrote: Share the thoughts of many others here, I'm ok with Willie Brown but hate the Darrell Green pick and would replace him with either Revis or Sherman . . . not a Bailey or Peterson fan, could be convinced on Charles Woodson.
Agree
I would go something like this, but for "career" would put Green ahead of Peterson

Peak = Revis > Sherman > Bailey > Peterson > Green

in my list I may have overtated Woodson some but way it goes. I'd maybe drop him 2-3 slots
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

sluggermatt15 wrote:Hmm. Great choices. But I'm surprised Paul Krause is not on the list for S.
I'd have picked Krause but honestly it's not a big difference. Like I said, Green got in on reputation and uniqueness of skillset, which really outsized his actual performance and idk why people don't seem to be getting that. Sometimes I wonder if he may have been even better at a different position.
JWL

Post by JWL »

JameisLoseston wrote:
I'd have picked Krause but honestly it's not a big difference. Like I said, Green got in on reputation and uniqueness of skillset, which really outsized his actual performance and idk why people don't seem to be getting that. Sometimes I wonder if he may have been even better at a different position.
All the cornerbacks up against Green has good reputations and skill sets.