Shortest game since ... ?

Bob Gill

Shortest game since ... ?

Post by Bob Gill »

Te Redskins' loss to the 49ers today, played in the rain, was over in 2 hours and 35 minutes. It leaves the network with 50 minutes to fill, because they had it scheduled to last through 4:25. When was the last time an NFL game was over that quickly? I certainly can't recall anything like that for decades, probably.
JuggernautJ

Re: Shortest game since ... ?

Post by JuggernautJ »

What a great game to watch!

The first thing that rushed into my mind when I saw the Redskins throwback uniforms was Charley Taylor catching a Sonny Jurgensen pass (although the said the uni's were "inspired" by those from the 1930's that's what I thought of when I saw the old scarlet and gold).

And they had mud!
Actual, real mud... on NFL uniforms...

For a few brief hours (and 35 minutes) it was the late 60's again!
(and the score seemed to reflect that, too)

What a treat!
Andrew McKillop

Post by Andrew McKillop »

Back in 2007, the MNF mud game won by the Steelers 3-0 over the Dolphins, was also completed in just 2 hours and 35 minutes.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

The 1979 Vikings-Jets MNF finished around 2:30 (could have been slightly longer), though I can't recall any specific reason why this particular game had that distinction. It was actually the first MNF game (ABC version) ever played the NYC area.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

JuggernautJ wrote:For a few brief hours (and 35 minutes) it was the late 60's again!

What a treat!

Yeah, I thought it was actually pretty entertaining too. I kind of wish there were more games like that.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Bob Gill wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote:For a few brief hours (and 35 minutes) it was the late 60's again!

What a treat!

Yeah, I thought it was actually pretty entertaining too. I kind of wish there were more games like that.
Same here. Probably my favorite NFL game of the season. Was something resembling real football, which is extremely rare these days.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I remember Dr. Z would keep track of how long the Super Bowls would take, and SB VIII between the Dolphins-Vikes was the shortest at 2:21 IIRC.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Funny to hear rave reviews for a game with only 3 FGs, but I GET IT. There's a thirst for diversity because the game has lurched visually towards the bland and antiseptic.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Just curious there must've been 0 reviews for anything...nothing controversial to look at for a game to last this short? No challenges I'm guessing?
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

I think there might've been one challenge, when Peterson fumbled the ball in the (fourth?) quarter. At least he signaled to the bench that he was down before he fumbled. I can't remember if they actually challenged it, but they did show a replay or two, which showed it was an indisputable fumble.