80-yard field

Citizen

80-yard field

Post by Citizen »

The Packers and Raiders played last night on an 80-yard field in Winnipeg, apparently because moving the goal posts left behind holes that created a safety hazard where the end zones were supposed to be. (The crowd was abbreviated, too -- just shy of 22,000).

I recall there was a game played indoors during the 1930s where the field had to be cut short. How many other times has this happened?
Retro Rider

Re: 80-yard field

Post by Retro Rider »

JohnH19 probably remembers this game better than I do, but there was a CFL game in Winnipeg that was played on a 90 yard field in late 1991:

SUNDAY NOVEMBER 3, 1991

Edmonton 28, WINNIPEG 18 (24240) - Tracy Ham completed 12 of 29 passes for 151 yards and one TD and rushed five times for 52 yards and two TDs as the Eskimos won the West thanks to the Lions' loss on Saturday.

Previously posted on CFL Forums:

http://forums.cfl.ca/cfl-talk/1/shorten ... peg/13888/

"The endzone had to much ice so they had to shorten the field. The field of play was from the 10 yard line to the ten yard line. The endzone was from the goal line to the 10 yard line. The field of play was 90 yards, and 110 including endzones. It looked like an NFL field because the goal post were in the back of the endzone. I do remember how funny it was when they kicked the extra point. They would still use the spot on the field as always, which for this game was in the endzone.

Alot of people complained after that game that Winnipeg was not a place to host the Grey Cup later that month."

This was posted last night:

https://www.riderfans.com/forum/forum/m ... ity/page90

"That game was the last regular season game in winnipeg in 1991 against the Eskimos. There was a wicked rain storm 2 days before then the temperature plummeted and the ice was 4 inches thick in some parts of the field in the end zones. The ice fused to the turf. A friend of mine was doing maintenance at the stadium back then. They rented all the lawn airaters in the city to try to puncture the ice and get it off. No go and they destroyed all the machines."
Last edited by Retro Rider on Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

You are talking about the 1932 NFL Championship game, which was played indoors at Chicago Stadium, and featured the 6-1-6 Chicago Bears against the 6-1-4 Portsmouth Spartans. Chicago Stadium was a hockey and basketball venue where the Blackhawks and later the Bulls played, and closed in 1994. it wasn't large enough for a full football field inside, so it was 60 yards long with 10-yard end zones, and the field was 45 yards wide. The goal posts were on the goal line, as they are today. The game was scoreless until the Bears got a touchdown and safety in the fourth quarter to get a 9-0 victory.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

The 1964 Liberty Bowl was also played on a 80-yard field.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Retro Rider wrote:JohnH19 probably remembers this game better than I do, but there was a CFL game in Winnipeg that was played on a 90 yard field in late 1991:

SUNDAY NOVEMBER 3, 1991

Edmonton 28, WINNIPEG 18 (24240) - Tracy Ham completed 12 of 29 passes for 151 yards and one TD and rushed five times for 52 yards and two TDs as the Eskimos won the West thanks to the Lions' loss on Saturday.
I actually have no memory of that game. Those were the days when our two young sons took up all of my attention.
Syeroy

Post by Syeroy »

an update to the 80-yard field post:

a vintage game of football was played Saturday 09/28/2019 at Douglas Park in Rock Island, Illinois.

this game was the 100-year anniversary of the first game played by an NFL (APFA) team

back on 09/28/1920, the Rock Island Independents defeated the St. Paul (MN) Ideals 48-0 at Douglas Park in Rock Island

Douglas Park is the last remaining park from the original 14 teams from 1920

PFRA member, Simon Herrera, founder of Vintage American Football, http://vintageamericanfootball.com, has arranged a game the past 5 years in Rock Island

this years game was played on an 80-yard field at Douglas Park, with the Independents coming out on top, 43-0

I have also played in the game the past 5 years

we played with leather helmets (optional), no pads, a replica football from 1920, modified 1920 rules ( 9 on 9, and flag football, to reduce injuries)

if anyone has any interest in playing in next years games (don't worry about needing to be in shape, I am 50+, out of shape, etc, and I played), contact me or contact Simon thru his site above

thanks

Roy