How long do you figure the new XFL league will last

lastcat3

How long do you figure the new XFL league will last

Post by lastcat3 »

THe XFL just released their team names...…..very generic names and logos.

Anyways how long do you figure this new XFL incarnation will last? I think McMahon is a good enough businessman and he has spent enough time getting ready for this that I think this version will make it into the second season. I think having a third season though is very up in the air at this point. This isn't a very good time to be starting new professional football leagues since the last several have been such disasters. I also think these new leagues need to stay in the fall when people are still hungry for football. A lot of die hard football fans (which would be the people paying attention to leagues like this) get so invested in their nfl and college teams during the season that by the time the season is over they are often just ready for a break from the sport.
RyanChristiansen

Re: How long do you figure the new XFL league will last

Post by RyanChristiansen »

The XFL logos are reminiscent in style of the AAF logos. I find it interesting that the Houston logo very much references the Houston Oilers logo, and I wonder if there will be a trademark skirmish about that one.

Timing is everything. The current NFL collective bargaining agreement extends through the 2020 season. If the NFLPA goes on strike in 2021, the XFL could capitalize on fans wanting more football after the college football season ends and build some fan loyalty. Can the XFL use an NFL strike season to its advantage?
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Last league to make it was AFL---all others busted. No reason to think there is demand for more football now than with WFL, USFL, etc

1 season is my guess
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I was surprised that only NY/NJ and LA repeat as cities of the old XFL. Maybe Memphis, BIrmingham and Orlando weren't attractive anymore due to the failure of the AAF (the first expansion league since the USFL that I liked). It's great that they will put a team in St. Louis and the others (without NY, LA and Seattle) in stadiums not occupied currently by NFL teams.

I think that, as the AAF, they won't last the whole season. Why? Because nowadays the fans don't go in flocks to a game where there are no famous or great players. Landry Jones, who was Ben Roethlisberger backup for years in Pittsburgh, is the first player signed by the XFL. I don't think that it will attarct enough fans.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I don't think it will make it past the time the AAF did. So, less than a year.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Hopefully after this one no one will try to create a second pro football league for quite awhile. If there was truly a market for a second professional league we wouldn't be seeing them folding before they even got through their first year.
Throwin_Samoan

Post by Throwin_Samoan »

I think they'll last two seasons.

Winter and spring.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Yeah I think this is going to turn into another situation where there may be a few people tuning in to week 1 just to see what its like but after that they will quickly bow out. The closer this thing gets to opening day the more its starting to look like the play is just going to be terrible. Aside from it lacking the talent that people tend to expect from professional football leagues we are now only about four or five months away from week 1 and as far as I know only one guy is signed. I havn't heard any other updates of players signing on to play in this league since Landry Jones did. Maybe others have but they are just no one of note so there isn't any buzz around it.