TJ blasts Jeff Legwald

JohnTurney

TJ blasts Jeff Legwald

Post by JohnTurney »

http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/ ... nocks.html

"Last season enjoyed doing my "Tuesday Tidbits" column here at the Journal, but that obviously goes on hiatus—though based upon the idiocy I read yesterday by the painfully lazy Jeff Legwold"

I didn't think the article was that bad
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/273 ... r-position

I had minor issues at C, G, CB, S...mostly at Kicker and punter...
but Legwald's picks at C, G, CB, S were justifiable...

Anyway----Coach didn't like it I guess
Rupert Patrick

Re: TJ blasts Jeff Legwald

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Good to see the Coach working on another movie. After reading his posts here for many years when he was here, it's always strange to me to see the Coach using capital letters and proper punctuation when he writes as I had grown accustomed to he ee cummings style of writing.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I think when Dent wrote the Nagurski book he had a movie in mind because there were parts added for dramatic effect. I'd like to see someone make that movie. Same with the Pottsville Maroons book Breaker Boys, seemed to have been written with a movie in mind although also its accurate as well as far as I can tell.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

I also didn’t think Legwald’s article was so bad. While I don’t agree with all of his selections, he did at least consider most of the right guys. I’d like to hear what TJ has to say.

Until I just read up on him, I had no idea that Jim Dent is currently in prison, and not for the first time. Alcohol has not been good for him!

I have only read one of Dent’s books; Monster of the Midway: Bronko Nagurski. It’s about Nagurski’s 1943 comeback season. I didn’t like it, mostly because of the liberties he took in creating numerous obviously fictional interactions and conversations between the characters. How could Dent know what was said in a Bears’ huddle in 1943? I found it very annoying and amateurish. I actually sent the book to Coach TJ to use for an article on the 1943 season that he was working on. Also, because TJ bleeds the Bears’ navy blue and burnt orange.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Dan Daly also went after Dent for that book: http://profootballdaly.com/jim-dent-bro ... y-license/. I have to admit I liked it - I recognized the fabrications and Hollywood angle, I guess you kind of have to read it as a novel like someone once said about March's book :) And when you actually look at the bibliography - it was pretty good - I wouldn't mind having his interview transcripts.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JohnH19 wrote:I also didn’t think Legwald’s article was so bad. While I don’t agree with all of his selections, he did at least consider most of the right guys. I’d like to hear what TJ has to say.
Perhaps TJ was upset with the "Remember him? Clark Shaughnessy (Los Angeles Rams)" comment? I didn't see any gross injustice with Legwald's picks.