2019 NFL Season Discussion Thread

sheajets

2019 NFL Season Discussion Thread

Post by sheajets »

We're getting pretty close to Christmas in September so figure all discussions about the rest of the preseason and into the regular season and playoffs can go here
Rupert Patrick

Re: 2019 NFL Season Discussion Thread

Post by Rupert Patrick »

A couple quick observations:

1 - I think the Antonio Brown soap opera is going to sink the Raiders season, not that they were going to get past the Chiefs and Chargers to begin with. Antonio seems to have become incredibly high maintenance during training camp, and will be testing Jon Gruden's patience before long, Gruden is one guy whose temper I wouldn't want to see up close.

2 - Important safety tip - if you go into a crogenic therapy chamber, wear more on your feet than a pair of socks.

3 - I hate to see that Andrew Luck is not recovering like they were hoping. Word is he may not start on opening day.

4 - What is Alex Smith up to? Is he trying to make a comeback this year? Or is he planning on coming back next year? Or has he retired?

5 - Which teams are most likely to improve this season? Which teams are most likely to decline? Who might be this season's Cinderella team? I'll have to think about that. What do you think?
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Rupert Patrick wrote:A couple quick observations:

1 - I think the Antonio Brown soap opera is going to sink the Raiders season, not that they were going to get past the Chiefs and Chargers to begin with. Antonio seems to have become incredibly high maintenance during training camp, and will be testing Jon Gruden's patience before long, Gruden is one guy whose temper I wouldn't want to see up close.

2 - Important safety tip - if you go into a crogenic therapy chamber, wear more on your feet than a pair of socks.

3 - I hate to see that Andrew Luck is not recovering like they were hoping. Word is he may not start on opening day.

4 - What is Alex Smith up to? Is he trying to make a comeback this year? Or is he planning on coming back next year? Or has he retired?

5 - Which teams are most likely to improve this season? Which teams are most likely to decline? Who might be this season's Cinderella team? I'll have to think about that. What do you think?
I can see the Jets improving to 8-8 and so. Green Bay will bounce back quite nicely. Minnesota I think will take a step back and the questions about Cousins will arise again. 49ers I'm not so bullish on. I can see them at 6-10 or so.

A lot of teams I still have no feel for. Jags will be better. But back to the playoffs better or 8-8 better. I don't know. Kyler Murray will go through a lot of growing pains running for his life in Arizona. Not sold on that coach either
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

I don't think there's any way that the Vikings don't improve on their 8-7-1 record. The revamped offensive coaching staff will do great things and the defense is still plenty good enough to make the Purple Gang a playoff team.

One thing I would like to see is Kyle Sloter being elevated from third string QB to second string. He looked real good with Denver in the preseason two years ago and then last year and so far this year with Minnesota.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JohnH19 wrote:One thing I would like to see is Kyle Sloter being elevated from third string QB to second string. He looked real good with Denver in the preseason two years ago and then last year and so far this year with Minnesota.
I said to my friend the other day that he reminds me of the Packers version of Matt Hasselbeck in the way he's basically a preseason all-pro, year-after-year.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

One thing I would like to see is Kyle Sloter being elevated from third string QB to second string. He looked real good with Denver in the preseason two years ago and then last year and so far this year with Minnesota.
He should have been starting with Denver two years ago by mid-season. Siemian was trash, and Elway had no business cutting him in favor of Osweiler.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Alex Smith was at a Redskins practice recently... on crutches. There is no chance he plays this year; he hopes to come back and play in 2020.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

conace21 wrote:

Alex Smith was at a Redskins practice recently... on crutches. There is no chance he plays this year; he hopes to come back and play in 2020.
I hope he does. It was just a horrible thing to watch unfold and especially with so many odd coincidences regarding Theismann (Nov 18th, game ending 23-21)
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... fted-jones

Why does Mayfield need to do this? Take unwarranted shots at Daniel Jones.

Part of it I believe is in a way to continue to smear the Giants as incompetent for getting rid of Odell Beckham. But this just reeks of imamturity
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

My ’19 standings/playoffs predictions...

AFC
East: (2) New England 12-4, NY Jets 9-7, Buffalo 6-10, Miami 4-12
North: (3) Baltimore 11-5, (6) Cleveland 10-6, Pittsburgh 10-6, Cincinnati 3-13
South: (4) Jacksonville 9-7, Houston 9-7, Indianapolis 8-8, Tennessee 7-9
West: (1) LA Chargers 13-3, (5) Kansas City 11-5, Oakland 7-9, Denver 5-11

1st Round: RAVENS over Browns, JAGUARS over Chiefs
Divisional: CHARGERS over Jaguars, Ravens over PATRIOTS
AFCC: Ravens over CHARGERS

NFC
East: (1) Philadelphia 14-2, NY Giants 6-10, Dallas 6-10, Washington 3-13
North: (3) Minnesota 11-5, Chicago 9-7, Green Bay 7-9, Detroit 6-10
South: (2) Atlanta 11-5, (5) New Orleans 11-5, (6) Carolina 9-7, Tampa Bay 5-11