Really, Really Trivial...

Rupert Patrick

Re: Really, Really Trivial...

Post by Rupert Patrick »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
JKelly wrote:Roman Gabriel's league leading 3,219 passing yards in 1973 would have translated to a 6,175 yard passing season in 2017.

Umm maybe I'm being thick but could someone explain this one to me? It's not like the NFL stats work like inflation or they shortened the length of a yard. If you plop Roman into 2017 and he throws and completes the exact same number of passes other than the lack of tackling skills his stats should be the same more or less.

If your going to throw all the defensive rules changes and the fact that if Roman Gabriel played under the same rules as Tom Brady he would have won a Super Bowl with the 1999 Rams then okay I get it but there are a lot of unknowns to come up with 6,175 yards
I think some sort of adjustment for era is going on behind this statement. Like, average team passing yards per game in 2017 was 191% of what it was in 1973. 6,175 is 191% of 3,219. Yeah it could have been explained better. Either way, he really did have an amazing 1973 season.
Whenever you try to adjust statistics across seasons using normalization, which is what I think they did, you can get results like that.

I have an Excel program that is still in the developmental stage called the QB Time Machine, it works pretty well with 1950 to 2018, I think, but if you try to go before 1950, you start getting serious problems, and I never figured out a way to get around those problems. You can use it to project what Fran Tarkenton's career might have looked like had he started his career in 1994, or what Peyton Manning's career might have looked like had he started his career in 1953. There is no analytical value to it, but it is fun to play around with, but it doesn't work it you try to project Brett Favre's career if he started in 1934, or if you try to project Sammy Baugh's career if he were to have started his career in 1998, because you start getting ridiculous results, like seasons where Favre throws 50 interceptions in 10 or 12 games, or Baugh throws for like 13 yards per attempt.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

Todd Pence wrote:
From 1970-76, the Green Bay Packers had a starting defensive lineman named Robert Brown. And from 1986-1992, the Green Bay Packers had a starting defensive lineman
named Robert Brown. They were two different men.
First Bob was left the Packers after '73. Was a reserve on later Lombardi teams, including SB I and II years. Best season was '72, when he made the Pro Bowl and got All-Pro notice in '71 and '72 from UPI.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Ronfitch wrote:
Todd Pence wrote:
From 1970-76, the Green Bay Packers had a starting defensive lineman named Robert Brown. And from 1986-1992, the Green Bay Packers had a starting defensive lineman
First Bob was left the Packers after '73. Was a reserve on later Lombardi teams, including SB I and II years. Best season was '72, when he made the Pro Bowl and got All-Pro notice in '71 and '72 from UPI.
But they did have two Mike McCoys in the same season, 1976. They also drafted Barry Smith and Barty Smith in the first round in consecutive years.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

The 2012 Green Bay roster included an A.J. (Hawk), two B.J.s (Raji and Coleman), a C.J. (Wilson), two D.J.s (Smith and Williams), and a T.J. (Lang).
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Well, since we're on names...
I often thought it humorous that during the 80's the quarterbacks for the Bengals were named Boomer (Esiason) and Turk (Schonert).

"Who ya got under center?"
"Boomer and Turk!"

What could possibly go wrong...
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Ronfitch wrote:
Todd Pence wrote:
I used to work with the second Robert Brown's son Mike.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

There were three different J.D. Smiths playing in the NFL in 1960-61.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Bounce!

OK, this is really, really, trivial but it has been bothering me for years...

Why is it that our advertisement in the Coffin Corner ("Draw up an ad in the Coffin Corner...") y'know, the one put out by football experts, has only six men on the line of scrimmage?
(See vol 42, #1, p 21, etc)

Someone whip out their copy of Photoshop and move that left wing-back up to the line of scrimmage... please!!
(OK, maybe I've been sequestered a bit too long....)
Lee Elder

Post by Lee Elder »

In the 1950s the Los Angeles Rams sent away three future championship quarterbacks: Norm Van Brocklin (1960, Eagles), Billy Wade (1963 Bears) and Frank Ryan (1964 Browns). Another former Ram, Zeke Bratkowski, won rings backing up Bart Starr with Green Bay.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

In their first three years in the league, 1966-68, the Atlanta Falcons defense surrendered 142 touchdowns while forcing just 132 punts. Yikes!