Your favorite episode of "A Football Life"

Reaser

Re: Your favorite episode of "A Football Life"

Post by Reaser »

Retro Rider wrote:I have a niece who attends public school in Port Orchard. Her teacher refuses to recognize Donald Trump as president of the United States. In that classroom the list of U.S. Presidents ends with Barack Hussein Obama. Regardless of how one feels about our current Commander in Chief, I think this instructor's agenda driven approach is very unfair to the kids. Real facts don't matter anymore. Sadly in today's world there are people in positions of influence (teachers, journalists, NFLN/ESPN talking heads) who get away with it.
Doesn't surprise me, especially in our state.

It's all sorts of different topics but generally along the same lines from what I've seen with my cousins public schools in Kent and Aberdeen.

Agree 100%, facts don't matter anymore and it's beyond unfair to the kids.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Reaser wrote:
Retro Rider wrote:I have a niece who attends public school in Port Orchard. Her teacher refuses to recognize Donald Trump as president of the United States. In that classroom the list of U.S. Presidents ends with Barack Hussein Obama. Regardless of how one feels about our current Commander in Chief, I think this instructor's agenda driven approach is very unfair to the kids. Real facts don't matter anymore. Sadly in today's world there are people in positions of influence (teachers, journalists, NFLN/ESPN talking heads) who get away with it.
Doesn't surprise me, especially in our state.

It's all sorts of different topics but generally along the same lines from what I've seen with my cousins public schools in Kent and Aberdeen.

Agree 100%, facts don't matter anymore and it's beyond unfair to the kids.
What's really worrisome is how this lack of leadership, guidance, and discipline really poorly equips the coming generations for the future. Right now we're living in good times with peace and economic prosperity. But what if we're faced with legitimate crises in 10, 20 years when the coming generation would firmly be in control. A real financial depression, war, food and gas shortages etc. Could they deal with real hardship and make real sacrifices like our fathers and grandfathers did?
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Any chance we can get back to discussing football?
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Reaser wrote:
sheajets wrote:Just the hooting and hollering with some of these shows. I avoid most of them. Can they act like actual broadcast journalists?

Take this clip for example when Tebow throws the TD pass to Demayrius Thomas. Absolute garbage. And it's not even funny or original or clever. I can appreciate that. I loved Bermanisms but when it came down to it Boomer and Jackson could be incredible analysts of the game. But this is hideous

https://youtu.be/Idx5wsH6Fys?t=674
The actual broadcast call of that play annoyed me, too. Personally, since I wasn't a fan of the OT changes I got annoyed (too much, admittedly) by the announcers/talking heads that were pushing for it (e.g. Nantz on the broadcast side and Eisen on the talking head side.) So was a whole season of that. Then this play happens and after the TD Nantz yells, "the new rules!" ... which had nothing to do with how that OT went. Would have been exact same in true sudden death but evidently he thought it was a good time to continue the sell-job on the then new OT.
I've never like Nantz too much. Really he's somebody better equipped for golf than football. He doesn't have a powerful voice. Nor does he seem to have the best understanding or love of pro football. He does his job adequately. He doesn't get in the way, but I'd figure by now they'd have found somebody better to be the networks #1 play by play guy

To me guys like Don Criqui, Verne Lundquist, Dick Enberg, Charlie Jones...they gave games a certain presence that Nantz can't
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

BD Sullivan wrote:
conace21 wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:

Episodes I would like to see:

-George Halas, which is kind of an oversight that they haven't already covered him.

-Art Rooney, as he was from all accounts one of the finest gamblers in the country, but parlayed that success into buying a football team that were perpetual losers for 40 years. It wasn't until his son took over the reins of the franchise that their fortunes began to change.
I would like to see both of those, but the problem is finding people who actually knew them in their prime.
You could have actual football historians offer their insights, but then NFL Network seems to think radio talk show idiots qualify in that category. :roll:
A few nights ago, the NFL Network had a Top 10 marathon. One was the "Top 10 Heisman Winners in the NFL." This first ran in 2012. Since then, Tim Tebow has been dropped (he was Number 7), Cam Newton was moved from 10 to 7 and Tim Brown was installed at Number 10.

O.J. Simpson was Number 3. A "talk radio show idiot" opined: "O.J. never won anything. He never won a national championship in college did he? He never won anything in the NFL. He never won anything."

Well, anyone who knew football history (even slightly) knows O.J. Simpson's 1967 USC team was the college football national champion that year; a "Game of the Century" win over UCLA with O.J. making a 64 yard game winning TD run, and a Rose Bowl victory. Yet this clown blubbered "O.J. never won a national championship in college." And anyone versed in football history knows O.J. didn't play on a team that was a real Super Bowl contender: Three winning seasons (1973-75) one playoff year (1974). A game or two away from the playoffs the other two years.

A football historian would know O.J. Simpson never played on a team with a real chance for the Super Bowl. The 1975 Bills might have made it with a good defense, but they didn't have it.
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

SixtiesFan wrote:
O.J. Simpson was Number 3. A "talk radio show idiot" opined: "O.J. never won anything. He never won a national championship in college did he? He never won anything in the NFL. He never won anything."

Well, anyone who knew football history (even slightly) knows O.J. Simpson's 1967 USC team was the college football national champion that year; a "Game of the Century" win over UCLA with O.J. making a 64 yard game winning TD run, and a Rose Bowl victory. Yet this clown blubbered "O.J. never won a national championship in college."
Kenny Roda WKNR 850 AM Cleveland ... wow:

https://youtu.be/FCoqX4-jCpU
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

I've always hated the "he never won anything" argument when it comes to great professional athletes who ended up in unfortunate circumstances. What more could Barry Sanders and Dan Marino do? They never won a championship
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

sheajets wrote:I've always hated the "he never won anything" argument when it comes to great professional athletes who ended up in unfortunate circumstances. What more could Barry Sanders and Dan Marino do? They never won a championship
I agree, and that is why I always cut Eli and Archie Manning a lot of slack when the Chargers drafted Eli and they made it clear he refused to play for the Chargers, and the Chargers engineered the deal with the Giants for Phillip Rivers. If there was a textbook example of a great QB who wound up in the worst of situations, it might have been Archie Manning getting drafted by New Orleans. I always felt if Manning had been drafted by Pittsburgh instead of Bradshaw, given everything else Bradshaw had going for him in Pittsburgh (Noll, Dan Rooney, Joe Greene, Franco, the 74 Draft), Archie Manning would have also won four Super Bowls in Pittsburgh. As it turned out, both Eli and Rivers wound up having HOVG careers so the trade worked out well for both teams as the Chargers also got Shawne Merriman and Nate Kaeding with the draft choices they received from the Giants.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

sheajets wrote:I've always hated the "he never won anything" argument when it comes to great professional athletes who ended up in unfortunate circumstances. What more could Barry Sanders and Dan Marino do? They never won a championship
One of the dumbest comments I've ever read came from a writer for FOOTBALL DIGEST magazine. He attempted to denigrate the accomplishments of Jim Brown because "he never got a Super Bowl ring." Brown retired the season before the Super Bowl was first played. He did win an NFL title with the Browns.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I agree, and I want to add something on Sanders: It's always mentioned that he didn't had "Emmitt's líne", but had Pro Bowlers Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover for the majority of his career.