Favorite/Least Favorite football 'expressions'

sheajets

Re: Favorite/Least Favorite football 'expressions'

Post by sheajets »

I do like it when announcers mention "4th and a long 1" meaning it's pretty much a full yard rather than a half inch. Was helpful before the advent of digital 1st down markers
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Also absolutely tired of every defensive player putting their fist in the air for 4th downs. Heck they put the 4th down fist even when the ball carrier pretty clearly makes 1st downs. It's redundant. Let the refs make the calls

Though I have to admit I do enjoy when refs huddle up and some QB or lumbering lineman eavesdrop...then quickly point to who the penalty is against before the ref makes his call
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

I used to think having one's "Bell rung" was a silly expression.
Until it happened to me and I actually heard the bell ring....

BONG!
(lights out)
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

"He's a good receiver out of the backfield."

Well, he's a running back...d'oh!
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

JWL wrote:As far as ones that have been around for a while, "running downhill" and "burn a timeout" are not favorites of mine.

It is the new school ones that most bug me- stuff like "in space", "eye talent", "high pointing the football", etc.
“High pointing the football” is the worst and it shocks me that even former players use it in their role as colour commentators. All it means is that players are adjusting to a ball where it’s thrown to attempt to make the catch. In most cases, if the receiver or defender doesn’t “high point” the ball, it won’t be caught. Brutal.

I cringe when Al Michaels says “second (or third) and a deuce”.

The use of “walk off” touchdown or field goal is just as irritating as when it’s used in baseball.

Edit: I didn’t realize this was an old thread so I repeated my earlier posts. At least I’m consistent.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

There was a time here in Mexico that the local announcers in the networks were fined if they said a word in English, so each football expression and also the names of the franchises and the stadiums were translated into Spanish, often with comical results. For example, safety (the 2-point scoring play) was translated as "own score". The Kingdome was the "Dome of the King" and the Hoosierdome was the "Dome of the horseshoe".
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Teo wrote:The Kingdome was the "Dome of the King"
Adds up with all my appearances watching sports there.
superbowlfanatic

Post by superbowlfanatic »

I dislike, "had to settle for the field goal" as if it's assumed to be automatic.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Todd Pence wrote:Anytime Joe Theismann is announcing a game and a receiver misses coming up with a pass that is anywhere near his hands; Joe will invariably declaim "Oh! (Name of player) has GOTTA catch that ball!"
Indeed. And it's because he's a QB and is and always will expect anything on the hands to be caught. Even years and years later he couldn't shake that mentality. Hockey goalies that become hockey commentators are the exact same way, always getting irritated when a goalie gets run or booed, and making excuses on goals on how that shot was unstoppable :D
DukeSlater

Post by DukeSlater »

“He came in and changed the culture.” “We need a change of culture.”

“They went into a hostile environment.”

“If they run the table.”

“They control their own destiny.”

I deplore and detest all of those......the “culture” word, in football circles, really causes me to blow a gasket.