Chicago Rockets,Hanley,Halas, Luckman

single wing

Chicago Rockets,Hanley,Halas, Luckman

Post by single wing »

Hopefully one of the experts on here has the answer as i cannot find it.

Two games into the AAFC 1946 season a weird story occurred with the Chicago Rockets. First just before a game with Buffalo Dick Hanley the Rockets coach was fired or quit depending who you believe. Hanley claimed he was fired without notice only hearing it when it was broadcast via loadspeaker to the crowd at Soldiers Field during pregame warmups. John Keeshin the Rockets owner claimed he quit. Then within days news came out that the Head Coaching job had been offered to Sid Luckman the Bears QB prior to dumping Hanley. Luckman and George Halas had a press conference. Halas blasted Keeshin in the press for gangster type actions that don't belong in football. Keeshin denied he ever made such a offer. This whole bizarre story that played out in Chicago resulted to two major lawsuits. First Dick Hanley filed against John Keeshin for libel. Also Keeshin filed against George Halas for libel. I know in 1953 DIck Hanley won his lawsuit over Keeshin collecting $100,000 when various Rocket players testified on his behalf. However i have never been able to find any information on the Keeshin filing against George Halas. Does anyone know what was the final result of that lawsuit ?
readjack

Re: Chicago Rockets,Hanley,Halas, Luckman

Post by readjack »

Hi there! Don't know if you'll see this, but the Tribune reported on January 29, 1947, that Keeshin dropped the suit after selling his interest in the Rockets.

Halas's statement after Keeshin dropped the suit: "My attorneys made a motion to dismiss the complaint or Mr. Keeshin that I had libeled him. The motion was argued and briefs were filed. When the case came up Mr. Keeshin and the Rockets had it dismissed. Mr. Keeshin apparently has decided that he did not have a meritorious case, which has always been my view."
single wing

Post by single wing »

readjack wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:34 pm Hi there! Don't know if you'll see this, but the Tribune reported on January 29, 1947, that Keeshin dropped the suit after selling his interest in the Rockets.

Halas's statement after Keeshin dropped the suit: "My attorneys made a motion to dismiss the complaint or Mr. Keeshin that I had libeled him. The motion was argued and briefs were filed. When the case came up Mr. Keeshin and the Rockets had it dismissed. Mr. Keeshin apparently has decided that he did not have a meritorious case, which has always been my view."
readjack

Thank you so much for finding the answer ! Much appreciated.
readjack

Post by readjack »

You bet!