1967 Blues for the Browns

Saban1

Re: 1967 Blues for the Browns

Post by Saban1 »

[quote="Saban"]Another thing, the NFL did Cleveland a big favor in 1967 by dividing the Eastern Conference into two divisions, putting Cleveland in one division (the Century Division) and the Dallas Cowboys in the other (Capitol Division). If not for this, then the Browns would have likely finished second to Dallas in the East.

I think that Cleveland now felt that all they had to do is get a split with the Cardinals to win their division and get into the playoffs. I am sure that they were not worried about the Giants, 1-12-1 in 1966, even though the Giants had a new quarterback named Tarkenton. Also, the Cards had to go with a new second year quarterback in Jim Hart, as Charley Johnson was drafted into the army.

So, Cleveland appeared to have it made in 1967, at least as far as their division went, which may have helped keep them from working quite as hard in training camp. They did lose their first five preseason games, which may not have meant much. They did lose their home opener against the Cowboys, which was their first home loss ever to Dallas, and their only home loss in nine games to the Cowboys during the 1960's.

They then lost their second game to Detroit, 31 to 14, after leading 14 to 3 early in the game. As it turns out, during the late 1960's Cleveland often suffered letdowns the week after their games with Dallas, so maybe that could partially explain that. Maybe they missed their middle linebacker, Vince Costello.

If I appear to be hard on the 1967 Cleveland Browns, there is a reason. I watched the Browns a lot in 1966 and 1967, and to me, there is no comparison between the two teams. The 1966 Cleveland team was much better than the 1967 team. Cleveland missed the playoffs in 1966 due to a bad and unfair schedule, IMO, and the breaks of the game, but played very well for the most part until they lost their second game with Dallas on Thanksgiving. They never got humiliated.

Humiliation seemed to be the order of the day for the Cleveland Browns in 1967, including their worst loss ever, a 55 to 7 loss to the champion Green Bay Packers. They also lost 52 to 14 in a playoff game with Dallas. Then there was the Detroit game when the Lions seemed to run at will for first down after first down against the Browns defense. When they beat lesser teams, Cleveland seemed to be more lucky than good in some of their games.

Despite these things, write ups about those days seem to indicate that Cleveland improved in 1967 because they returned to the playoffs that year after missing out in 1966. In 1967, the Eastern Conference was split in two putting the Browns in a new and easy division. Their main competition was supposed to be the St. Louis Cardinals, but the Cards had to play with a new, young quarterback due to their usual good veteran quarterback being called into the military. The Browns toughest competition in their four team division that year turned out to be the Giants, who were the worst team in the league in 1966.

As far as I am concerned, the 1967 edition of the Cleveland Browns team was their worst of the 1960's decade. The 1966 Browns team was definitely better
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

Saban wrote:I just started reading a new book called "Blanton's Browns" by Roger Gordon. It is mostly about the Cleveland Browns of the late 1960's.

There are a couple of things that pretty much back up things I have written here about the 1967 Cleveland Browns team.

One is what Head Coach Blanton Collier said after their humiliating 52 to 14 loss in the 1967 playoff game against the Dallas Cowboys. "I tried to be as gracious as I could back in the locker room but I hate to lose," said Collier in the December 26 Plain Dealer (Cleveland newspaper). "I told the boys at the half and after the game that I'm tired of this kind of performance in big games. It happened against Green Bay (Cleveland lost 55 to 7) and it happened again against Dallas. I don't know the answer but we're going to find out. It could mean we need some changes. The Cowboys were up on the bit and came right after us. We didn't respond."

Said an Ohio news reporter, "The '67 Browns turned out to perhaps be the least potent of any of the Browns teams from the time Blanton Collier took over through the end of the decade. They just didn't have many games where they were clearly the superior team. They won several games barely getting by."

I agree with that assessment, but I think that the 1967 Cleveland team was their worst since 1956, which was the only Browns team to ever have a losing record up to that time. Sure, they made the playoffs with a 9 and 5 record, but they played in a very weak division with Cleveland being the only winning team in that division (NFL Century). They only played in three regular season games against teams with winning records out of 14 games, and they got slaughtered against both teams that played in the NFL Championship game. The Browns also struggled against weak teams in a bunch of their wins.

BTW, I highly recommend Roger Gordon's book, "Blanton's Browns."

I am a little surprised that Collier didn't mention the Detroit game that Cleveland led 14 to 3, but ended up losing 31 to 14. Detroit wasn't even a winning team in 1967.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

The book, "Blanton's Browns," did not go into much detail on Cleveland's second game in 1967 against Detroit, but in some ways, that game was almost as bad for the Browns as their games with Green Bay (55 to 7) and their playoff effort against Dallas (52 to 14). Detroit scored 28 unanswered points against Cleveland after the Browns had the lead, 14 to 3. The final score was 31 to 14 in favor of the Lions. Detroit's final record in 1967 was 5 wins, 7 losses, and 2 ties.

True, Cleveland was playing without their very good flanker Gary Collins that day and also tight end Milt Morin, who missed most of the season due to injury. I still think that Cleveland suffered a letdown after their opening home loss to the Dallas Cowboys. I know that teams will often have a letdown after getting a big satisfying win, but the Browns had that one after losing. I guess that Cleveland put in a good effort on that Dallas game, but lost anyway. Hence the letdown.

The Lions seemed to run the ball at will against the Browns that day, running for first down after first down (29 first downs for Detroit that day).
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

I believe that the Cleveland Browns played hard in the 1967 opener against the Dallas Cowboys and fully expected to win that game. In fact, I think that Cleveland played one of their best games of that season against Dallas that day, at least on the defensive side of the ball, despite losing 21 to 14.

Frank Ryan was 17 for 37 passing for 239 yards, but threw three interceptions. The Cowboys completely stymied the Browns running game that day holding them to only eleven yards rushing. I guess that Cleveland had not solved Dallas' flex defense (a defense designed to stop the run) yet and I think that the Cowboys were up for that game against the hated Browns.

Cleveland's defense really allowed only 14 points against Dallas that day because the Cowboys also got a pick 6 by Chuck Howley. I watched that game at the time, and if memory serves, I seem to remember that the pass was deflected before Howley intercepted it, although highlight films do not show the deflection.

There was some bad luck for the Browns as kicker Lou Groza missed field goals of 27 and 37 yards and another field goal attempt of 30 yards had the pass from center flubbed by the holder (backup quarterback Dick Shiner). So, this cost the Browns a possible 9 points.

Can't say that the Browns should have won that game because Dallas did outplay Cleveland. When you stop the Browns running game as the Cowboys did that day, you should win. Also, Dallas did gain more yards overall than Cleveland did. Maybe what helped make the game as close as it was is that the Cowboys lost three fumbles to the Browns.

Maybe the loss to Dallas that day was not that big a deal as Cleveland did play in an easy division and the Browns did end up in the playoffs in 1967, but only to get slaughtered 52 to 14 by those same Cowboys. Easy division or not, Cleveland did really want to win their opening game against the Cowboys, but so did Dallas.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Saban wrote:Cleveland's defense really allowed only 14 points against Dallas that day because the Cowboys also got a pick 6 by Chuck Howley. I watched that game at the time, and if memory serves, I seem to remember that the pass was deflected before Howley intercepted it, although highlight films do not show the deflection.
Howley actually batted the ball in the air, juggled it and then pushed Ryan away to score.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

Thanks BD. I thought that someone had batted it. Didn't know it was Howley. It was on the first play from scrimmage in the 2nd half.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

Saban wrote:I believe that the Cleveland Browns played hard in the 1967 opener against the Dallas Cowboys and fully expected to win that game. In fact, I think that Cleveland played one of their best games of that season against Dallas that day, at least on the defensive side of the ball, despite losing 21 to 14.

Frank Ryan was 17 for 37 passing for 239 yards, but threw three interceptions. The Cowboys completely stymied the Browns running game that day holding them to only eleven yards rushing. I guess that Cleveland had not solved Dallas' flex defense (a defense designed to stop the run) yet and I think that the Cowboys were up for that game against the hated Browns.

Cleveland's defense really allowed only 14 points against Dallas that day because the Cowboys also got a pick 6 by Chuck Howley. I watched that game at the time, and if memory serves, I seem to remember that the pass was deflected before Howley intercepted it, although highlight films do not show the deflection.

There was some bad luck for the Browns as kicker Lou Groza missed field goals of 27 and 37 yards and another field goal attempt of 30 yards had the pass from center flubbed by the holder (backup quarterback Dick Shiner). So, this cost the Browns a possible 9 points.

Can't say that the Browns should have won that game because Dallas did outplay Cleveland. When you stop the Browns running game as the Cowboys did that day, you should win. Also, Dallas did gain more yards overall than Cleveland did. Maybe what helped make the game as close as it was is that the Cowboys lost three fumbles to the Browns.

Maybe the loss to Dallas that day was not that big a deal as Cleveland did play in an easy division and the Browns did end up in the playoffs in 1967, but only to get slaughtered 52 to 14 by those same Cowboys. Easy division or not, Cleveland did really want to win their opening game against the Cowboys, but so did Dallas.

Was Cleveland's opening opening game loss to the Dallas Cowboys really the best game they played in 1967? Could be. The other contenders would be their games with New Orleans, Pittsburgh, the second Giants game, or their game with Minnesota. In the case of the Saints, Steelers, and Giants, those teams were not anywhere in the same class as the Dallas Cowboys that year. Dallas was one of the top teams in the NFL in 1967 along with the Packers, Rams, and Colts.

What about the Vikings? The Vikings were a losing team that year with a new head coach, Bud Grant, and a new quarterback, Joe Kapp, and lost their first 4 games. After that, they beat the champion Green Bay Packers, and got a tie with the powerful Baltimore Colts, who only lost one game in 1967. So, by the time that they played the Browns, they could be plenty tough.

That game, Vikings vs. Browns, was a bitterly fought contest, and Cleveland really had to struggle, but thanks to some heroics by Leroy Kelly, the Browns managed to win, 14 to 10, after losing 10 to 0 at one point. Minnesota was up for that game due to some bulletin board material and it was a very tough game that ended up in some fights. I think that considering everything, that may have been the best game that the Cleveland Browns played in 1967.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Saban wrote:Was Cleveland's opening opening game loss to the Dallas Cowboys really the best game they played in 1967? Could be. The other contenders would be their games with New Orleans, Pittsburgh, the second Giants game, or their game with Minnesota. In the case of the Saints, Steelers, and Giants, those teams were not anywhere in the same class as the Dallas Cowboys that year. Dallas was one of the top teams in the NFL in 1967 along with the Packers, Rams, and Colts.

What about the Vikings? The Vikings were a losing team that year with a new head coach, Bud Grant, and a new quarterback, Joe Kapp, and lost their first 4 games. After that, they beat the champion Green Bay Packers, and got a tie with the powerful Baltimore Colts, who only lost one game in 1967. So, by the time that they played the Browns, they could be plenty tough.

That game, Vikings vs. Browns, was a bitterly fought contest, and Cleveland really had to struggle, but thanks to some heroics by Leroy Kelly, the Browns managed to win, 14 to 10, after losing 10 to 0 at one point. Minnesota was up for that game due to some bulletin board material and it was a very tough game that ended up in some fights. I think that considering everything, that may have been the best game that the Cleveland Browns played in 1967.
They did shut out the Bears 24-0, though Chicago didn't have Sayers, who was ruled out during pre-game warmups. The Bears got investigated by the NFL for not bothering to say that Sayers was questionable--though he already was dealing with a leg injury.

In that Bears game, Chicago had only 136 yards of offense, including a net 20 on the ground. Despite that handicap, it was scoreless at the half and the Browns only led 7-0 entering the final quarter. That's partly due to the Browns getting sacked four times--one of those resulting in Frank Ryan having to get a painkiller in the locker room after getting slammed to the ground.

Interestingly, after that game, calls for Halas to step down started to grow, but it would take until the following May for him to give in.

As far as the Vikings game, the Browns might have still been in shock after getting blasted 55-7 by the Packers. They had only scored seven points before the game-winner in the final minute. They needed a Dave Osborn fumble at midfield with 2:38 left just to get the ball back and got an early taste of the Purple People Eaters since the Vikes ended the game with eight sacks.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

BD Sullivan wrote:
Saban wrote:Was Cleveland's opening opening game loss to the Dallas Cowboys really the best game they played in 1967? Could be. The other contenders would be their games with New Orleans, Pittsburgh, the second Giants game, or their game with Minnesota. In the case of the Saints, Steelers, and Giants, those teams were not anywhere in the same class as the Dallas Cowboys that year. Dallas was one of the top teams in the NFL in 1967 along with the Packers, Rams, and Colts.

They did shut out the Bears 24-0, though Chicago didn't have Sayers, who was ruled out during pre-game warmups. The Bears got investigated by the NFL for not bothering to say that Sayers was questionable--though he already was dealing with a leg injury.

In that Bears game, Chicago had only 136 yards of offense, including a net 20 on the ground. Despite that handicap, it was scoreless at the half and the Browns only led 7-0 entering the final quarter. That's partly due to the Browns getting sacked four times--one of those resulting in Frank Ryan having to get a painkiller in the locker room after getting slammed to the ground.

Interestingly, after that game, calls for Halas to step down started to grow, but it would take until the following May for him to give in.

As far as the Vikings game, the Browns might have still been in shock after getting blasted 55-7 by the Packers. They had only scored seven points before the game-winner in the final minute. They needed a Dave Osborn fumble at midfield with 2:38 left just to get the ball back and got an early taste of the Purple People Eaters since the Vikes ended the game with eight sacks.

I forgot about the Bears game. I remember that I was looking forward to seeing Gale Sayers and Leroy Kelly playing in the same game and was disappointed when I heard that Sayers was not going to play.

One of the heroes of the Vikings game for Cleveland was Jim Kanicki, who caused Dave Osborn's fumble to pave the way for Leroy Kelly's end of the game heroics. Walter Johnson recovered the fumble by Osborn.

One of the dirtiest plays I have ever seen happened when a Vikings player grabbed Gary Collins' face mask in the end zone and yanked Collins down to prevent a TD. To Collins' credit, he kept his cool and the Browns got the ball on the one yard line setting up their first TD. I think that this is what precipitated the fights at the end of the game.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Saban wrote:One of the heroes of the Vikings game for Cleveland was Jim Kanicki, who caused Dave Osborn's fumble to pave the way for Leroy Kelly's end of the game heroics. Walter Johnson recovered the fumble by Osborn.

One of the dirtiest plays I have ever seen happened when a Vikings player grabbed Gary Collins' face mask in the end zone and yanked Collins down to prevent a TD. To Collins' credit, he kept his cool and the Browns got the ball on the one yard line setting up their first TD. I think that this is what precipitated the fights at the end of the game.
The game should have ended in a tie since Paul Flatley dropped a pass in the end zone in the second quarter and the Vikes ended up having to kick a FG. Had that happened, the Vikings would have ended up with a bizarre final record of 3-7-4.

Shortly before Dale Hackbart clotheslined Collins in the end zone, Collins caught a weird pass. Ryan's throw went off Collins' hand and should have been picked off by Brady Keys, who also tipped the ball, which Collins caught before falling out of bounds.

The only Vikings TD was set up after Browns rookie Carl Ward fumbled a punt. One week later, Ward redeemed himself with a 104-yard kickoff return.