1988: Cards 24 SF 23

74_75_78_79_

1988: Cards 24 SF 23

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Sure enough I've seen 'America's Game: 1988 Forty Niners' at least a couple times before, but the part that goes into this particular game must have alluded me. Seeing it again just now, it goes into how Bill Walsh got knocked down on the sideline by some players (broke a couple ribs, apparently) as well as it being said that had SF held on to win, Steve Young would have been their starting QB from that moment on (they being 7-4 in this case instead of 6-5).

Yes, a what-if is being installed here, but how do things turn out in such an event? Young, of course, was already ready to be a starting QB in the league, ready to win regular season and playoff games for SF, but would he have been good enough just yet to win-it-all for them? In '88 I see a Young-led SF team having no problem tacking on those at-least three needed wins to get in and then getting it done vs Minn and at Chi-town considering how well the D played in both those playoff games. But considering how integral Joe was in that close game vs Cincy, would Young have been able to get them by? He being a predominantly running-QB (and would be for quite a few years more), would that have, perhaps, set a different tone for things?