Random NFL tidbits/stats that you find interesting...

ChrisBabcock

Re: Random NFL tidbits/stats that you find interesting...

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I forgot to add "Since 1933".
Yes but who has the most ties in "the Super Bowl" era? ;)

Actually, I think it's the Packers without checking.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
I forgot to add "Since 1933".
Yes but who has the most ties in "the Super Bowl" era? ;)

Actually, I think it's the Packers without checking.
Looks like it's the Cardinals with 8; the Pack had 6.
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

Citizen wrote:I imagine most here are aware of this, but the 2008 Lions winning all their pre-season games and losing all their regular-season games is simply extraordinary.
And it shows how absolutely pointless preseason games are.
MIKEBENNIDICT

Post by MIKEBENNIDICT »

How this happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUQ_enyo7S8

It's hard to believe the officials let it count.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

MatthewToy wrote:
Citizen wrote:I imagine most here are aware of this, but the 2008 Lions winning all their pre-season games and losing all their regular-season games is simply extraordinary.
And it shows how absolutely pointless preseason games are.
Well, meaningless (by definition); but try to find a coach or a GM who considers them pointless.
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

MIKEBENNIDICT wrote:How this happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUQ_enyo7S8

It's hard to believe the officials let it count.
I love that clip. Stram's recounting of it in "Full Color Football" is great fun:

https://youtu.be/l294QpkseXI?t=2155
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
MIKEBENNIDICT

Post by MIKEBENNIDICT »

It's interesting from the 1920's through the WWII years how there were some teams that ended up being eliminated for 1 reason or another.

Perhaps it had to do with the league being new and maybe the Depression and WWII years may have played a part in that.

It amazed me the fist time I learned that up until the 70's players weren't paid the way they are now and has regular jobs during the week or off season.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

MIKEBENNIDICT wrote:It's interesting from the 1920's through the WWII years how there were some teams that ended up being eliminated for 1 reason or another.

Perhaps it had to do with the league being new and maybe the Depression and WWII years may have played a part in that.

It amazed me the fist time I learned that up until the 70's players weren't paid the way they are now and has regular jobs during the week or off season.
Tony Canadeo was a neighbor of ours when I was a kid. In the offseason, he worked as a draftsman at Northwest Engineering in Green Bay.

In 1949, he became the third player in NFL history to rush for more than a thousand yards in season. The Packers reward him by raising his pay from $5,000 to $6,000 a year.
MIKEBENNIDICT

Post by MIKEBENNIDICT »

I know in the early days of TV baseball was bigger that football but I've even heard college football was more popular than the NFL.

Not that I wanna sound snobbish but it seem interesting that it would of been ahead of pro-football.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

MIKEBENNIDICT wrote:I know in the early days of TV baseball was bigger that football but I've even heard college football was more popular than the NFL.

Not that I wanna sound snobbish but it seem interesting that it would of been ahead of pro-football.
Pro football didn't really start to pick up traction as a national sport until the 1958 NFL Championship Game. I think by Super Bowl III it began to solidly cement itself at the nation's most popular TV sport.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen